Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Need explanation of D500 1.3x crop

d500 1.3x crop

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

If I'm understanding it correctly, just like a DX sensor "crops" an image relative to an FX sensor, the D500 offers a 1.3x crop mode, which, in effect, crops the DX sensor.  So, if I were to shoot with a lens that was 600mm on an FX body, putting that lens on a compatible DX camera gives me the equivalent of 900mm, and using 1.3x crop on the D500 provides the equivalent of 1170mm.  Is that correct?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

More or less... You get the field of view of the 1170 mm lens on FX, but because you aren't as far away you don't get the compressed perspective or the shallow depth of field of the longer lens on the larger format.

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

To be honest IMO there is little benefit if any to using the 1.3 crop much better done on the PC later,with the small buffer on the D7O/D7100 reduced file size may have helped with FPS but not much.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

The problem with cropping in camera is the loss of control. If you learn how an image cropped for maximum reach looks in the finder, you can recompose slightly after the fact. If you use the 1.3 crop you give up that freedom.

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

Basically, I'm thinking that, for those of us who shoot with long lenses, the 1.3x crop could substitute for a telextender, allowing that there are trade-offs.  So, for example, my 600mm (FX) / 900mm (DX) lens would be equivalent to 1170mm DX with 1.3 crop vs. 1260mm with a 1.4 telextender.  Using the 1.3 crop, I would not lose an f/stop, I might be able to shoot at a higher ISO, and I would not be placing more glass between the lens and the sensor; however, I would be reducing my magnification (1170mm vs. 1260mm) and I would be losing sensor pixels (24x16 vs.  ~ 18.5x12.3). Does that make sense?

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
That seems correct to me. If you accept that with an 1.3 crop you will only use about 60% of the available pixels (still better than having the 1.5 crop from FX to DX, which results to 44% of the pixels being used). Now, the story is nowadays no longer about the number of pixels, but still it will make a difference for larger prints.

However, as mikew pointed out: when you crop in post processing all the above applies also, but you have extra margins to reframe the cropped area.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You will have to remember that when you crop (in post or with the 1.3 crop doesn't matter), the larger magnification will lead to more prominent noise patterns and a lower DR. There are situations when those factors get worse than when raising ISO to compensate for a TC. The larger magnification can also make atmospheric haze more prominent than if you used a TC.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d500, 1.3x crop