Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New computer?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

It appears that I may need to purchase a new computer .. The one I have can't seem to go more than a couple of min. with out locking up. I got it when Vista first came out. So I guess it is getting some age on it. Anyway that is why I haven't posted any shots the last couelements9 not compatible with windows 10. So I started the shopping process yesterday.  Hopefully I can be back up and running soon.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I'm a big Windows 10 fan and you should like it. My computer is 4 years old (Windows 7 when I bought it) and I've updated to Windows 10 but still considering picking up a new computer in the new future. I've been thinking about getting a Surface 4 and docking it so I can use it easily with my two monitors and other accessories I use. Its just a little pricey and I can't pull the trigger yet.

Sent from my Surface 3

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

What's your budget, and what form factor are you looking for?  (Laptop or desktop)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Are you shopping for editing software or a different computer?

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Dell has some good deals on their XPS series. You can get a tricked out XPS 8900 desktop that makes an excellent image processing platform. Lots of room for expansion too. Just be sure not to scrimp on the processor, HD or RAM. Photoshop and Lightroom love to eat up RAM. You can, I believe, still pick one up with Windows 7 Pro (which includes a Windows 10 Pro install disc as well).

Or, you could go full tilt bozo and get a tricked out Mac Pro. Oh mama!

--Ron

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

If I was looking for a ready-built windows box for postprocessing today, I would consider the Lenovo P500 thinkstations above most others. A workstation has much longer life than a PC as fans and PSU are of better quality. A system with two SSDs, a large storage drive, 32 GB of RAM, a nice Nvidia graphics card and a 29 format card reader is around $3600 or a bit over, which is quite competitive for a processing workstation.

The advantage of having two SSDs is that you can use a 256 GB unit as a system disk and a 64 or 128 GB unit as a scratch disk for Windows and Photoshop.  

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

My Tablet is a Surface pro 4 with docking station , keyboard, dvd/cd reader and runs windows 10. It just doesn't have much memory. even with the micro SD card added. I do have an old monitor I may try to see if I can connect it. I have found that Elements 9 won't run on my Surface. so I will probably need to upgrade that as well.. My old computer was  a laptop and served me well.  So I will probably stay with a Laptop.  I have set up a personal cloud storage here at the house,  so that should help with my photo storage. My budget for the next couple of months is small I was hoping to make it to summer before I had to shop for a new computer. I am still going to try to extend it to as close as I can to give me more time to gather more funds . I may try some work arounds to get me there. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

You could keep the same system - especially with the external storage and just add Adobe CC so you have both LR and PS available...save the new system $$ and get some upgrades to the Surface Pro 4?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You could look for a used HP, Dell or Lenovo laptop. At least here in Sweden, 18-24 months old 14" laptops sell for less than 10% of their price new.