Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Something about it bugs me...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

asque2000

asque2000

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPortland, ME

Here's a very cooperative American Robin taken today. I like how sharp it is (really digging the D7200!), but from some reason it is lacking. I can't really help the lighting as it was partly cloudy, but perhaps you fine folks could offer your opinions and critique, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

24704152880_455c5c9a00_k.jpgAMRO2 by Seth Davis, on Flickr

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I think you're being over critical. Looks awesome!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Did you try messing with contrast or clarity?  Might pop it a bit more...other than that, excellent capture...If I had to pick something I might try cropping it a touch as well...not much, just a touch if any...

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

We have had poor light most of the time in the UK since well before Christmas,yes better light may have given it a lift but at the moment i would be pleased to get that. ;)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I wonder how it would look if you raised the saturation in the red channel slightly? I would crop to a 7x5 aspect ratio or so to crop out the sharp berry on the right.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,633 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I found a relevant snippet of information over at Nikonrumors...

"Stopping down: Sharpness, contrast and depth of field improves enough to be noticeable when stopped down to F8. There is no difference when stopped down to F6.3, some noticeable difference at F7.1 and clearly visible difference at F8. The picture of the kingfisher perched has details in the beak and face with appear sharper than images shot at F5.6."

The whole review here.

asque2000

asque2000

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPortland, ME

I found a relevant snippet of information over at Nikonrumors...

"Stopping down: Sharpness, contrast and depth of field improves enough to be noticeable when stopped down to F8. There is no difference when stopped down to F6.3, some noticeable difference at F7.1 and clearly visible difference at F8. The picture of the kingfisher perched has details in the beak and face with appear sharper than images shot at F5.6."

The whole review here.

Interesting. Perhaps I'll try that. Thanks for the pointer, and thanks to everyone who offered critique, again I really appreciate it!

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

I think you're being over critical. Looks awesome!

I agree. There are some changes I would "try" but if not, looks pretty good to me.

Sent from my Surface 3

Fogey

Fogey

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationShropshire, UK

Some times, little is best.

This is a cracking shot of a bird in adverse conditions.  How do I know that?  because I can see it in the photograph.  Try to make the shot 'pop' and all you'll do is make the scene look artificial.