Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Understanding differences between D3200, D7200, D750

d3200 d7200 d750 viewfinder sharp focus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

DocPit

DocPit

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello, everyone. I'm hoping you guys can help me plan a shopping spree. (Well, a little spree.) I used to work professionally in the late 70s-early 80s, when cameras used film and all operation was manual. I recently returned to photography. I bought a Nikon D3200 to “get my feet wet” with digital. I use it with a Tamron 150-600mm zoom to shoot “wildlife” (zoo animals, birds, my cat). No video. I'm ready to buy a second camera.

I like to shoot totally manual (exposure, focus, flash). My single biggest concern is focus. I've read that, as compared to the viewfinder in the D3200, the pentaprism viewfinder in the D7200 is 33% brighter and has higher resolution. It seems like that would translate to a significant “real world” advantage in achieving sharp focus. Does it? An FX camera like the D610 or D750 might be even better, specifically from the perspective of achieving sharp manual focus. Any thoughts?

A secondary concern is low light performance. I would expect to get better low light performance (shooting at higher ISO) with an FX sensor. However, even with the D3200 at ISO 6400, I get some noise, but post-processing with ACR can be incredibly effective in cleaning those images. Any thoughts about low light advantages going to a D7200 or an FX?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Having a pentaprism viewfinder is a huge plus for manual focusing.  You'll enjoy slightly higher image quality with the D7200 as well, but if you want to see a big increase in high-ISO performance, you pretty much have to go with FX.  Like you mentioned, a full-frame viewfinder would be even larger and it would make it easier to discern and focus on smaller objects.

If you're not heavily invested in DX lenses it might make more sense to make the jump to the D610 or D750 in your case.

Also, have you given live view a try?  It's an invaluable tool for fine-tuning the focus when you're on a tripod, since you can magnify the image.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As you like manual focus, getting a D610 or D750 has another advantage over the D7200. Focusingscreen.com in Taiwan don't have a screen for the D7200 yet... The bright screens in modern AF bodies just aren't optimal for manual focus as the contrast is lower than the MF screens'. 

Shooting in low light there is another aspect than noise to consider, namely dynamic range. The FX sensors lose much less range as you crank up the ISO to get the photo.

If you want something close to a F2AS or F3 but digital, don't forget the Df. The retro-style isn't just a gimmick, it is a marvelous tool for manual control of everything. A K3 screen really transforms it for manual focus.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Excellent advise above...Do keep in mind that you won't have as much reach with that 150-600 on an FX body...I think the benefits outweigh the negatives based on the info you provided, but wanted to make sure you considered that...If that is an issue, you might want to wait and check out the D500...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d3200, d7200, d750, viewfinder, sharp focus