Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cars from the 2016 Rolex 24

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

It was another great year at the 24 hours of Daytona. All the below were taken with a D7100 and the new NIKKOR 18-300. Shutter priority 1/2000 on the track and 1/400 in the garage. Once again my D7100 did a great job. It's difficult to track these cars while perpendicular and accelerating through 180 mph. With the trigger button held all the way down I just let the AF-C do its thing. It misses once in about 25 shots, but that's primarily due to other things being in the focus path. Light poles, flag poles, structures etc.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_5610_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5691_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5698_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5716_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5738_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5748_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5734_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_5766_DxO.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I love these images... and I envy you so hard. LOL

I watched a few chunks of this race on TV... and dammit, FOX, put it on one channel and keep it there!

I was expecting the Ford GT's to give the Porshes and Vettes a run for their money but oh, those teething pains! But I was happy to see both of the C7-R's cross the finish line together.

--Ron

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Yes Kudos to the Vettes! Awesome finish even though it was amongst team cars. There was a time when the Ford GT took the lead on speed. In the last picture above look at the "1" just behind the front wheel. That "1" is from IMSA timing and scoring. Every car has that display, albeit in different spots on different cars, and it's controlled by the sanctioning body (IMSA). This lets the fans know what position the car is in, in its class. LOL at your FOX comment and could not agree more. If there was a FOX Sports 8 I think they would have split it up amongst all 8 channels!  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Well, it looks like the Corvette team is starting to learn... they pretty much seemed content to follow the other GTLM cars around the track until after the last pit stop. Then they decided to race. Good thinking on their part. I was, however, a bit surprised that they decided to let the 3 and 4 duke it out for the win.

And kudos to IMSA for those scoring lights. Unfortunately they don't show up as well in the daytime as they do at night. But, it's a great idea.

I really was hoping the Ford GT's would do better but I was happy to see  Katherine Legge and the Deltawing run well ... at least for awhile. It was so cool to see her leading the race.

--Ron

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

You and I are spot on in our fanship except for the delta wing. I hate that thing! If that is the future of racing you can count me out. However, I know better. I'm familiar with Dr. Don Panoz' past race cars. Thankfully they were all flash in the pan cars and never won anything significant. I'm sure his delta wing will follow suit and I'll be happy.     

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,265 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I guess I'm just a sucker for underdogs. Otherwise, I agree with you about the Delta Wing. It is pretty ugly. And, I don't see too many other manufactures falling in line to build their own version.

I'm not sure what plans Ford has for the GT but hopefully it will show up at Sebring. I know the Vettes will be chomping at the bit and, of course the Porches will be looking for revenge! Should be a good show.

--Ron

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Oh yeah the Ford GT will be at Sebring as well as yours truly. We're both in for the season. I'll have some more pictures from Sebring when the time comes.

• Ron likes this