Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF Settings for D7000

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Samyo

Samyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEurope

Hi folks,

I have recently switched from a Pentax K5 to a Nikon D7000. The manual is fairly comprehensive, however, the AF settings are still somewhat confusing for me. I find myself trying various settings for the same shots and sometimes get a result and sometimes I don't (not in focus anyway). I used my kids on scooters coming towards me with a 70-200 2.8 VR II and S mode with 1/320 sec.

Are there some experienced Nikon users who could advice, when to use what setting? Birds, running kids, surfers, street, bike racing, 3D tracking ..... Never had to think about stuff like that with my K5 ... ;)

Need to get my head around it as it really slows me down at the moment

Thanks.

ogs123

ogs123

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag

Basically you have 3 servo modes (how to focusing motor moves): AF-S, AF-C and AF-A and 4 auto focus area modes (controls which focus points are used): Single Point, Dynamic Area, 3D Tracking and Auto Area.

I mostly use Single Point so I can decide exactly what part of the scene will be on focus and AF-S (Single Servo) for static subjects or to use the recomposition method and AF-C (Continuous Servo) for moving subjects. But you can read about all the other modes here: http://www.pixelfine...F_Explained.pdf

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

I shoot mostly family/documentary/kid style. Also moved from Pentax to Nikon D7000 then to D600.

Most importantly i set the AE-L button on the back to AF-ON. No AF on the shutter button!

Then i set the AF system to use AF-C.

This is my basic setup for AF operation. I focus by holding in the AE-L button on the back with my thumb. The camera will concentrate on focusing constantly while i can focus on composition. I use the shutter button only to take a picture or as many as i want. I can hold AF with my thumb and keep af point over subject, or i can press it once, then just shoot if distance to target doesnt change.

As far as AF point modes i mostly use single point. Sometimes i use 9-Point area, and sometimes i use 3-D track. Your D7000 will do a good job tracking skin tones, your kids clothes etc etc, in 3D-mode. I works great under good lighting. Use striped clothes on your kids and you camera will have no problem  :D

Still, the most important setting would be AF-ON to the back of the camera (AE-L button)... It may be stragne and wierd at first, but when you get into it you'll most definitively will like it.

This is what i like the most about Nikon vs Pentax. The AF system.

Look at my profile picture... I shot it through a mirror, AF-On with thumb and AF set to AF-C and AUTO. I aimed as good as i could and the camera focused on my face @ f/1,8 and it nailed it perfectly. Sometimes AUTO mode works really good focusing on eyes/mouth/nooses, try it.

Samyo

Samyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEurope

That's a really good link to explain the AF. Thank you very much for that OGS123! ;-)

the swede: I got the AE-L button set up that way. It's just a bit strange that in order to get the VR working you also have to have the shutter button pressed half way. And strangely enough the AE-L button on the original grip doesn't work as AF-ON button which is very disappointing (unless I'm doing something wrong).

I don't like relying on AUTO stuff as I feel like I'm not in control and that I didn't contribute anything to the picture. But that's just me. Will try the AF-C with constant subjects and the back button though  ;)

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

Will try the AF-C with constant subjects and the back button though  ;)

well, heres the thingy about Nikon AF system.

It generally works better and is more accurate in AF-C than AF-S, even if you shot one frame at a static object (like you use AF-S) or shot many tracking/following something.

The general Nikon AF tip has been, use AF-C even if you dont need it. When i shoot static objects and the distance from me to the object doesnt change, i just focus and let go of the AF-ON (AE-L) button, then i can recompose or shoot as many frames as i want. The camera wont refocus every shot as it does when you have AF on the shutter button.

Well... there's pros and cons with everything and it all depends on need and how you use them :) But thats my tips anyways. Letting the AF system work its magics lets me think of many other things, a freedom i didn't feel i had with Pentax and my type of photography.

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

i have found that when shooting in the af-s mode, it helps to reduce the number of focus points in the settings.

Samyo

Samyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEurope

Coming from a K-5 I usually only use the centre point. That is my "safe" setup at the moment to definitely get the picture I want.

Changing AF settings is still less intuitive than the Pentax (perhaps because there aren't many on the K-5?), especially as it's a bit of a workaround with re-programming the AE-L button. I haven't found the option "link exposure to active AF point" in the setup yet - if there is such an option?

The Nikon AF beats the K-5 hands down, getting used to the Nikon way just seems a bit more painful than it should be IMHO. Especially coming from a Pentax. Just need to read up on things and go out and take some more pictures I suppose and wait until it "clicks" .... :rolleyes:

BeerBelly

BeerBelly

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSlovenia

It always takes a bit of time to learn a new system. I feel that with Nikon (moving from Pentax too) I'm always trying to change lenses the Pentax way :) 

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

Coming from a K-5 I usually only use the centre point. That is my "safe" setup at the moment to definitely get the picture I want.

Changing AF settings is still less intuitive than the Pentax (perhaps because there aren't many on the K-5?), especially as it's a bit of a workaround with re-programming the AE-L button. I haven't found the option "link exposure to active AF point" in the setup yet - if there is such an option?

The Nikon AF beats the K-5 hands down, getting used to the Nikon way just seems a bit more painful than it should be IMHO. Especially coming from a Pentax. Just need to read up on things and go out and take some more pictures I suppose and wait until it "clicks" .... :rolleyes:

I also used my pentax that way... AF-S, single shot, centre point, focus on shutter button...

Nikon woke me up  :D  bah... im used yo the Nikon weird way of changing af modes now: Holding the little mode button on the AF/M switch in and change modes with front/back wheels.

I have AF-ON on the AE-L/AF-L button, and have the Fn button set to AE-Lock (Hold)

Regarding exposure and active AF point, i think the "Nikon way" is exposure biased towards the selected point/points. And we cant change that, no matter what metering mode we're in. 

It always takes a bit of time to learn a new system. I feel that with Nikon (moving from Pentax too) I'm always trying to change lenses the Pentax way :)

:lol: Nikon has it all wrong imho... I was really mad about it when i first changed lenses on my first Nikon camera, made me miss Pentax actually. I still find the Nikon lens release button really awkward, and also the way one must turn the lens btw.

onewiththecamera

onewiththecamera

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSparta, MI

Typically the people that use the AF-L button use it to lock focus so they can take multiple shots without refocusing. It is often used in a focus and recompose scenario. You can push the AF-L and it will lock in the focus until you push the button again.

If you have a moving subject, like a kid riding a bike or shooting soccer or basketball for example, then you will most likely use AF-C. This will continuously refocus the image as the subject moves closer or farther from you. You can use the AF button, but I find that to be very awkward. I will just use the shutter button, hold it half way down, wait for the shot, and depress the rest of the way. It takes a little bit of time to get used to the shutter button, but once you have the muscle memory for where the sweet spot is it becomes very natural.

The AF-S is awesome for more steady subjects like doing portraits. Once the camera grabs focus it will hold that focus as long as you maintain the shutter half way down. You can do focus and recompose if you are using say the center focus point. The center focus point(s) is/are the most accurate because they are the cross type focus points looking at both horizontal and vertical lines. The outer edge focus points are not quite as accurate, and will really suffer in darker situations or where there is little pattern in the subject at the focus point.

AF-A is basically useless IMHO. The computer decides if it wants to be AF-S or AF-C and can change it's mind at any time. So you never really know what you are getting.

I always shoot single point focus. This is where the camera will use one focus point. You get to chose which focus point to use. This way you are sure you are getting the focus on exactly what you want. With dynamic the camera tries to average out things. The other two modes can give you frustratingly varying results.

Typically I focus and recompose. Technically that can subtly change the image, but at a practical level you will never ever notice any issues. This is where you are on AF-S, you push half way down to get the focus with the point on say the subjects face, and then move the camera to properly compose the image while still holding the shutter part way down. You can do the same using the AF-L button to lock exposure then recompose and take a series of shots.

the swede

the swede

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

One of the reasons i have for using AF-ON with the AE-L button on the back, is the fact that i dont need to half press the shutter button :) I don't have any VR lenses though, so i dont have to think about that too. Focus and recomp is still possible with AF-ON method, just let go, focus is still locked in that place.

Spodeworld

Spodeworld

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • Country Flag

There is a lot of great advice here, but I am wondering if the OP is asking how to chose between Dynamic area vs. 3-D Tracking in certain situations.  I've struggled with that myself.  For birds, running kids, sports, that is, situations where motion is fast and erratic...does Dynamic Area or 3-D Tracking seem to work better?  I find that 3-D Tracking is a bit unwieldy and unpredictable in its behavior.

For slower moving things like parades, DA or 3-D?  I personally go with Dynamic Area myself under those conditions. 

Samyo

Samyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationEurope

That's right. With the option to adjust the "Focus Tracking with Log on" it feels like the AF system is capable of a lot. The instructions booklet merely describes what the system is designed to do. A few examples or some timings about when the AF decides to change targets would be nice. At the moment there is a lot of trial and error learning going on. Not complaining coming from Pentax, just wondering if there are experience stings for different scenarios like motorsport, surfing, BIF etc.

Sante

Sante

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • Country Flag

It's either blurred or missed a shot, when I use AF-C mode, especially when lighting is not good. It takes time for the camera to focus, almost same time it takes when you switch to manual mode.