Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Three Amigos.

floral arrangement

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

When I first noticed this group, I thought it would make a nice photo.  Turned out I was right given the contrast with the dark background.  I gave some thought as to whether I should edit out the soft red in the upper hand corner, however, the more I considered it, the more I wanted to keep it.  This shot was not as easy as one might expect as I had attempted different angles to make it a more interesting composition.  Obviously I decided to remain with Mother Nature's version.  Please feel free to offer any comments and suggestions.  That is how we all learn.

Many thanks,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• Al's Garden 045.JPG

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

When I first noticed this group, I thought it would make a nice photo. Turned out I was right given the contrast with the dark background. I gave some thought as to whether I should edit out the soft red in the upper hand corner, however, the more I considered it, the more I wanted to keep it. This shot was not as easy as one might expect as I had attempted different angles to make it a more interesting composition. Obviously I decided to remain with Mother Nature's version. Please feel free to offer any comments and suggestions. That is how we all learn.

Many thanks,

Tony

Try cloning out the red to see how it works. Its really dull red and its not really that distracting. Could be my monitor but the image looks a little under exposed to me.

Sent from my Surface 3

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Try cloning out the red to see how it works. Its really dull red and its not really that distracting. Could be my monitor but the image looks a little under exposed to me.

Sent from my Surface 3

Here is the adjusted version.  I did brighten the photo a bit.  It does look better.  Thanks very much.  Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• Al's Garden 045.JPG

• Ron likes this

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Much better I think.

Sent from my Surface 3

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I somehow missed this one. It's a very nice photo. I really like this type of picture.

Unfortunately, it looks as though you framed it a bit too tight at the top... the edge touching the first flower. I would have tried to have a little separation there. Don't worry... I've done the same thing when doing award photography and thoroughly kicked myself afterwards. Also, there is too much blank (black) space at the bottom. You might want to think about cropping some of that out to better balance the image.

I'm undecided about the red blotch of color in the upper right hand corner but I would probably take it out if only to see if I liked the image better without it.

For artistic brownie points...  I would probably spend a bit of time in Photoshop taking all of those spots and blemishes on the flowers out. I'd probably do it on the same layer I used to remove the red blotch of color. 

Other things you can try might be decreasing the amount of clarity ... or using a glamour glow filter to give the flowers a soft focus, glowing effect. I think that might look nice. Selective focus might also work for this image...but these things also fall under the artistic brownie point deal. In other words ... not really necessary. Just things to consider. The image looks nice as it is.

--Ron

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Alrighty then, here is another edited version.  I could not do anything about creating more distance between the flower and the top of the frame.  I am not comfortable using Clone and Heal on FastStones.com yet.  I have tried a few practice sessions with it, but cannot seem to get a handle on it.  Anyway, thanks very much for all the helpful comments.

Regards,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• Al's Garden 045.JPG

• Ron likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: floral, arrangement