Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Had my first ever crack at Real Estate Photos

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

When I first upgraded my gear and started my business one of the areas I wanted to get into for some added income was real estate photography. Then models came along and I never got around to trying this out. I didn't plan on taking on paid work until i had done a few of my own private projects. But I just never got a chance.

A couple weeks ago I was at my ex-inlaws house (yes you read that right, they love me more than their own daughter) and asked if I could take some photos as their house is much, much nicer than mine. I didn't want to intrude too much so never went into their room. Also didn't do the two rooms that my daughter and I were staying in as they were a bit of a mess. And yes I realise I caught my own reflection a couple times.... I learn from these things.

Crew One-1.jpg

Crew One-2.jpg

Crew One-3.jpg

Crew One-4.jpg

Crew One-5.jpg

Crew One-6.jpg

Crew One-7.jpg

Crew One-8.jpg

Crew One-9.jpg

Crew One-10.jpg

Crew One-11.jpg

Feedback and comments welcome. Need to learn for next time.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Fantastic work! These look really well done--I'd be interested in commentary on each one just to get a glimpse of what you were thinking and what choices you were making for each shot. I can see what appear to be some very smart and deliberate choices.

So, we will probably be moving in the next few months, and I've been looking at lots of real estate photography as we begin shopping for a new home—yours is far, far, far better than most of what I have seen on the local real estate websites. In fact, after looking at our local realty websites, I've decided to ask our realtor if I can do my own photography for marketing our house because so many of their photographs just stink. 

I like that you have so many lights on in each shot--I understand that makes a huge difference. Wondering if you could bump the exposure a bit more to give it an even more bright, open, and airy look though? Some of the interiors look a little dark, which makes them feel a bit drab--looking at the bathroom, especially. Did you add any lights of your own? Or did you just use available light? I think one of the best architectural photographers out there adds lots of lights (bounces strobes off the ceiling and such), and they end up looking spectacular. Did you composite any of the shots? Just wondering because you were able to keep the detail outside while getting enough light inside. Nice job. I think I might choose to blow out the windows to keep the focus on the interiors--unless the goal is to show a particular view. I don't know...looking at some of the high end real estate photographers, I think they keep the detail, as you have. Hm...

The perspectives you chose are just excellent--they are interesting and eye-catching, but they also reveal a great deal about the home. What lens were you using? I can tell it's a wide one because there is still a bit of distortion in the round elements and diagonals (bathtub), but it looks like you did a great job at keeping the straight lines upright! My 14mm is such a distorted mess...I can't quite imagine doing real estate with it. But I don't know what else I'd use since it's impossible to capture an entire room with anything narrower!

Really nicely done. I hope we can get the photos for our home to look half this good when we actually put it on the market.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Nicole, it seems that a lot of realtors either use cheap (easy to carry) point&shoot cameras or their smart phones. Especially the ones who sell mid market houses. Apparently, there's little incentive to pay for photography when they can take shots, "just as good!" The people who sell high end real estate, on the other hand, do spend the money for good photography.

The main problems I see with dcbare's stuff are some shadows that I think need to be filled in (especially #'s 1 and 2. Lighting overall, I guess could have been better. However, I love the perspectives on most of his shots. The kitchen/dining area photo #7 is gorgeous. I really love that one. I don't have any problem with the outside showing through the windows as I think it lends a bit of realism to the photos. The exterior shots are nice too.

--Ron

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

The main problems I see with dcbare's stuff are some shadows that I think need to be filled in (especially #'s 1 and 2.)

--Ron

I'm no commercial photographer but what I've read even lighting is key what taking interior shots. The shots with windows in them are very good. Matching exposures in and out of the room is sometimes difficult.

Sent from my Surface 3

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Bahh.... Had reply mostly written. Accidentally refreshed the page.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'll try and address everything...

Exposure... I agree. After posting this I looked at them again and the first three in particular could get a bump in exposure. This also goes to Ron's shadow comment. No I didn't add any lighting. I prefer to use available light for real estate.

Composites... I auto bracketed, 3 x +/-3ev exposures and blended them in LR. I like in LR it blends the raw files. I did this to retain the outside detail. I use +/-3ev because I find the D810 raw file has so much detail, anything less doesn't add any extra. When I wrote my first reply I had an idea just to see how good the raw file is....

Original, bracketed exposure

Crew One-7.jpg

The -3ev exposure processed accordingly with a +3.5 in exposure.

Crew One-1-3.jpg

I'd be more than happy with this single file in future use. The properly exposed image had the outside area partially blown out.

Perspectives/Distortion... I used my Tamron 15-30mm at 15mm. As much as I love this lens for 95% of this I do, if real estate was my bread n butter I'd own the Nikon 14-24mm as it doesn't have the little bit of distortion evident in the Tamron lens. Real estate is one of those things that really exaggerates the tiniest bit of lens distortion. Plus that extra 1mm would be useful. 

Commentary...

This was probably the hardest shot. Which way do I shoot it? From which side of the hallway? Landscape or portrait? I chose this way as it gives some information on the flow of the entrance. Implies that you follow it round to the left to get to the other areas of the house, as you do. The other end leads to main bedroom, laundry and study.

Lounge room. This room is purely ornamental. I'm sure they have never used it. But the challenge was the ceiling is so high, but I still wanted to show as much of it as I could. also I think this one is the worst for edge distortion.

Bathroom. I didn't know which way to shoot this. Or how to fit things in (tripod) to shoot it. I would've like to have shot from the other direction to show the rainwater style shower head, but no room. This was shot from the door way looking in. If it was a real job I would've layed out towels and bath mat properly. I figured the spa bath is probably the big selling point here.

Spare bedroom (1 of 3... The others not photographed). I opened up the windows and blinds to show off the gardens just outside the windows. Also the green outside ties in with the green of the bedspread. In hindsight I probably should have shot this a little lower.

Study. Funny room. While normally you want to step back and show as much room as possible I think in this case I could have brought the camera forward a bit.

Living area. I wanted to include the little study nook around to the right. But I think I have not done myself any favours with the parallel lines of the furniture. I think this would look more appealing shot between the couches, turned more to the left and a separate photo for the nook. Also trying to show the greenery just outside the windows.

Kitchen/Dining Room. I was a bit concerned and thought I should have given the kitchen some greater focus, maybe a photo of it's own. But with this I wanted to show the flow of the living areas from inside, outside. Maybe could've benefitted from a step to the left and turn a bit to the right?

Obviously trying to emphasize the pool here. Had to drag my daughter out of it so I could take a photo. Also learn to watch out for reflections. Don't know why the patio outside is so dark? I'm sure the lights were on? Maybe they weren't? Some lights in the gazebo would be nice here, shot a bit later in the day.

They have some really nice tropical gardens so i wanted to show some of them.

Got to get a street appeal shot. 

The entrance. Again showing the gardens. I'm sure the lights either side of the walkway have a bulb each that is out. Surely it isn't supposed to be like that? If this was for real I would fix that in PS.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

This house has some curb appeal.  The exterior shots are really great, and those wood floors look fantastic in photos.  Nicely captured, good work.  I'd certainly add it to my list if I were in the market and saw those photos.  

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I just looked at a local publication that features real estate. Strangely, or perhaps not... a significant number of photos were apparently shot with a full frame fisheye lens. So much for keeping straight lines straight.

--Ron