Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Non-CPU Lenses on a Nikon D70

nikon 50mm 1.8 series e lens

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Today I decided to see what kind of trouble I could get into by attaching my Nikon Series E 50mm 1.8 lens to my Nikon D70.  I discovered a boat load of limitations when using a non CPU lens on this camera.  As an example, it is impossible to use the built-in speedlight no matter what I did.  Surprisingly, the lens did not perform as well as I expected when used in low-light conditions.  The images were barely visible, even with some light on in the room.  It is also impossible to adjust shutter speed and aperture settings even when the camera's mode dial is set accordingly.  I was able to use my Nikon SB-24 Speedlight with the manual lens attached and the photos came out very good.  On second thought, why wouldn't the SB-24 Speedlight work when it operated very well when I was using only Nikon Film SLRs?  I breathed a sigh of relief when I realized it was alright to hang on to the lens.  An oldie, but still a goodie.  Just an FYI.  Thanks for reading.  Of course the lens only worked when the camera was in the Manual mode and focus was also in Manual mode.

Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, 50mm, 1.8, series e, lens