Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photography...hobby or profession?

hobby professional

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Is that the Milky Way?

That is incredible. Did you do multiple exposures and stack them? 

I've heard that is the technique most people use to get this kind of a star photo. 

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

The photo still looks awesome. I'd like to get out of the city sometime and try my hand at doing something like that.

Nichole Keysor

Nichole Keysor

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I have been photographing since I was 14. At 20 I became a mother, and the pictures were for a whole new reason. Now I am getting a degree in Digital Photogrpahy with hopes of starting my own business. Any tips or advice?

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

That's a beautiful shot nbanjogal. :) and well done on the calendar photo. :)

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Nichole from a Photographic perspective shoot as much as possible. Get experience under the belt. As with anything you want to be good at, practice, practice, practice. Work out what you want to shoot. Who will your business cater too. Will you be a family photographer shooting portraits? Will you be a wildlife photographer shooting for magazines? A successful business is one that has defined target audience and knows what they are doing. Get equipment that will suit what it is you wish to do.

From a business perspective, do a business degree/certificate. Having run a small business for over 11years there is more to being successful than being good at what you do. Read the book "The E-Myth" as it gives a good insight into what you're going to need to do to survive, let alone be successful. A new business owner will have many hats on top of what they do, admin/marketing/maintenance/etc

Good luck with it.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Is that the Milky Way?

That is incredible. Did you do multiple exposures and stack them? 

I've heard that is the technique most people use to get this kind of a star photo. 

Alden, yes that is the Milky Way, and no, I didn't stack exposures for this. Here's the exif: ISO 6400, f/2.8, 20 sec on the D600 with 14-24mm lens at 24mm. If you're wondering how I got the sky along with the barn, the answer is light painting. :) Thanks for the compliments.

And now back to the topic at hand:

Nichole, I've been told many times the same thing that rocknrumble just said above--in fact, one pro I know (a successful one who is actually making good money from his photo business) recommended that I get a degree in business instead of photography if I wanted to run a photo business. 

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag
Wow, amazing shot, and clever to use light painting.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

I already posted this one in the lone album I have on this site, but here it is again:

attachicon.gif2013-10-07_0017.jpg

Seriously reduced the resolution on it, so I hope it doesn't look too crappy.

It does not look crappy at all and I personally could spend hours sitting looking at the stars. It is one subject area I would like to start taking pictures of, but where I live there is much light polution, but saying that I live on the edge of the New Forest in Southern England so there is scope. I actually came across your album a couple of days ago and was very impressed with the photographs.

What exactly is light painting?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Great topics and great comments...I think I'd have to categorize myself as a serious hobbiest who has made money through photography - and I still do...

WAY back I saved up some money to get one of the "high end" pocket cameras...yes, I know...but that does say something (in addition to telling you I'm old!).  I was way too young to work, but I wanted to take photos and I was pretty good at it.  I actually had a number of photos published in our school's yearbook when I was 12 or 13.  I kept at it and finally saved enough for a cheap SLR.  Slowly I built up my gear and portfolio and shot for both my high school and college.  I even won a couple of Society of Collegiate Journalist awards (2 Honorable Mentions).  I grabbed a second job at a local photo chain and used that money and discount to round out my gear. 

I've done a wide variety of paid photography including advertising, promos and albums for musicians, weddings, kids, pets, and about anything else people asked me to do.  Most of that paid work was far from what I really wanted to do with photography.  I love shooting nature and do it when I can and will do more of it.  But, my favorite photography is sports and live concerts.  I've had work published since college in a few magazines, by some sports teams (high school, college and pro) and have decided that is where I want to "focus" my talents.  I primarily photograph for the local high school now and post game photos to one or two local pubications.  The kids and parents enjoy it and I make a few bucks that help me towards new gear...Still trying to round out my digital hardware...

My goal is to have a business that brings in a bit of extra cash and keeps me happy and active in my retirement.  You may never see one of my pix in Sports Illustrated, but I know I'll be shooting and enjoying myself wherever I'm shooting!

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Great insight there. Great to hear that it is working for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hobby, professional