Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photography...hobby or profession?

hobby professional

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Exactly, photography for me is a hobby, but I would love it if I could get some bucks from my honny that would be great, not as a profession but if someone said to me that pictures great could I purchase a copy that would be cool! But as a profession you would have to be so particular and only shoot what the client wants! That's not me I'm afraid I love to shoot anything and everything!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Give it a try - offer to shoot a good friend or relative's event. Children's birthday parties, graduations, engagement or family photos are easy and low pressure. If you like that try hooking up with a wedding photographer and offer to be their second. Work for experience first and if you like move into a paying gig.

Our group does high end car shows and dealers. We love expensive cars and it really shows in our work! Find something you like and just plug away until you're shooting for those clients.

It never hurts to try it out and you may really like it. I occasionally find that working for myself so much more gratifying than working for someone else ;)

Alan Jones

Alan Jones

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationQueensferry, North Wales, UK

I'm an amateur and although I've had some photos used by people who considered my images professional (such as on Curved Air's live album) I don't and never will consider myself a professional, as I enjoy the playing, experimenting and general freedom of being a keen hobby photographer.

I think it's one of those romantic notions that some people have, as others here have mentioned, that if they can take a half-decent photograph, they're a professional. No, in my book you're a professional when it's what pays the bills each month and when it's run as a person's business.

I too am one of those who smiles wryly when a friend gets themselves a camera and then the word "Photography" suddenly appears after their name on facebook! ;)

My advice would be... one step at a time. Take photos, lots of them, of everything and anything. Enjoy it as a hobby, develop a few styles in which you are proficient and if you can then begin to make some money from your hobby, consider taking that final step to professional.

marcbergeron1

marcbergeron1

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationQuébec,Canada

Site Supporter

I was combat/camera for many years in Canadian Forces and now retired, I joined when I completed my college degre in photography and after I worked in a lab for 2 years. I know one thing if you want to do it as a pro be ready to put a lot of time into it because now days a lot of persons thinks that they are pro with digital that does everything for them so they don't know about the basic of photography (well it is ok) but some basic apply to digital as well as conventionnel photography like : playing with depth of field, the rule of third, iso(ASA), lighting, night shot, open flash, The ''B'' button ;) and many others...so to me you got to learn them and do a lot of shooting, a good port folio, free to travel anywhere, and a good health and contact (friend allready in place... a lot easier),

enjoy and good luck B) 

The photography got me into shit (PTSD) Now it is the samething that is taking me out of there.....Keep on shooting B)  

Regards

Marc

Just one to add: Hope me english is fine, I'am french and I'am trying hard but I know not perfect ;)

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Give it a try - offer to shoot a good friend or relative's event. Children's birthday parties, graduations, engagement or family photos are easy and low pressure. If you like that try hooking up with a wedding photographer and offer to be their second. Work for experience first and if you like move into a paying gig.

Our group does high end car shows and dealers. We love expensive cars and it really shows in our work! Find something you like and just plug away until you're shooting for those clients.

It never hurts to try it out and you may really like it. I occasionally find that working for myself so much more gratifying than working for someone else ;)

Those sound like great ideas for experience (wedding, etc) but I'm not sure I would ever make the jump to a professional.  It is a good idea for gaining experience in areas I don't usually get exposure to, though!

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Thanks for the great advice. I've already been shooting Christenings, Birthdays and Weddings for friends. (The Wedding had it's own photographer I was just doing it so they could have photos sooner as waiting for a professional to edit them takes a long time). I plan to keep doing that and see where it goes.

phoxst

phoxst

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan
I definitely look at photography as a hobby, I have been happily snapping pictures for over 30 years. Recently some of my friends say I should try and sell some of them. I have sold a few, but it is a tough market. You really have to find a niche and stick with it.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I too am one of those who smiles wryly when a friend gets themselves a camera and then the word "Photography" suddenly appears after their name on facebook! ;)

So true. Our group had a poll on Facebook for the top most annoying things amateur photographers do; #2 & #3 were related to this exact point. One was slap watermarks with "Dude McSnapshot Photography" on every photo and the other was "DudeMcSnapshotPhotography.com"

BUT... we all admitted to doing it so... *shrug* LOL

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

LOL. I did exactly that. I setup a facebook page with Elvis Sinosic Photography just so I had a central place to post all my photos rather than directly to my personal feed. Plus I figured if down the track I went professional I'd atleast have a following and opportunity to build off it. Though to me it's more about watching my photography grow as you can see the change and improvement from the early pictures to now.

bredies

bredies

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRaglan, New Zealand

There's no governing requirement as photography is an art form.  You can't set up rooms and practice as a lawyer but you can with photography.

Your qualification is in your shots and people will either buy or not. 

If you ever intend going pro NEVER put up any bad images as they are simply a reflection of your work.

Be nice to make money from it

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

A number of years ago I started attending evening classes for picture framing and really got into it. I ended up setting up a professional workship in sheds at the bottom or our garden followed by sitting the Fine Art Trade Guild professional exam (theory and practice). However, this hobby which I had so much passion for became a real chore as I ended up working night after night framing to order. Eventually I gave it up. I had a similar experience with sailing, where I ended up teaching, again loosing the pasion as I did this as a job for a while. I see the same danger with photography, however, perhaps it is indiviudal thing and think it would be great if you could combine day job whilst retaining passion and fun.

For me this is certainly a hobby, that I want to learn more about.

jason

jason

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Country Flag

hobby  i like to give away what people charge money for .

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Hobby for me, but I would like to try my hand at entering some contests and stuff like that, maybe win a camera or lens or something like that some day. 

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Hobby for me, but I would like to try my hand at entering some contests and stuff like that, maybe win a camera or lens or something like that some day. 

You really should. Not only does it build confidence and skill it also puts you in the running for some new gear!

Sweepsteaks are easy and common, just create an email account specifically for entries so your main account doesn't get flooded with spam... ask me how I figured THAT trick out...  <_<

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Great idea. Getting free stuff is always a bonus. I think I'd like to make it a side profession. I'd be happy making enough money to pay for new equipment and upgrades. ;)

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

I would be thrilled and honoured if one of my shots was ever just published, forget the prize!

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

I have just joined two photo competition websites that offer great feedback and decent prizes!

picstop.co.uk and http://www.viewbug.com

View bug has plenty of free to enter competitions and if you want to sign up for a premium account there are loads more to enter as well. :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Pretty Cranium, I hear ya! This past summer, one of my competition photos was selected to be published in a 2014 bank calendar, and I won't get paid a dime, but I was just excited to be selected (from a county-wide competition, so maybe it's small potatoes to some, but a big deal to me). It felt kind of validating, you know? I do get to put my website in the byline, so perhaps it will drive some traffic to me... 

PrettyCranium

PrettyCranium

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Country Flag

Pretty Cranium, I hear ya! This past summer, one of my competition photos was selected to be published in a 2014 bank calendar, and I won't get paid a dime, but I was just excited to be selected (from a county-wide competition, so maybe it's small potatoes to some, but a big deal to me). It felt kind of validating, you know? I do get to put my website in the byline, so perhaps it will drive some traffic to me... 

That's awesome!  I'd love to see the photo.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

That's awesome!  I'd love to see the photo.

I already posted this one in the lone album I have on this site, but here it is again:

2013-10-07_0017.jpg

Seriously reduced the resolution on it, so I hope it doesn't look too crappy.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hobby, professional