Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 17 January 2016

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Oops! Forgot to start a new thread again, so I'm late! Sorry...

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 17 January 2016, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

P.S. The editing exercise has started up again, so come play with us.

P.P.S. Go post your best photos of 2015 here! We'd love to see the best of what you've all been up to all year (it's also a great exercise to force yourself to choose only 3-6). 

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

And I guess I'll start us off this week--this was my assignment for last week for Project 52 Pros (I shot it tonight--a day past deadline...oops). We were to come up with an illustration for a story about the new year, and I decided to make it ambiguous. You could look at it as a mysterious gift or treasure, or you could interpret as Pandora's box. Who knows what the year holds? But let's hope for the former, right? I also went for some symbolism and included the hourglass, which had just been turned.

24220518952_3c3836bb90_b.jpg2016: A Mysterious Gift by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Used the 85mm 1.8G for this one. ISO 100, f4.5, 1/100. Three speedlights: one gelled with orange and yellow inside the box (which had a piece of white paper taped to the lid to spill the light back onto the table a bit), one above and behind my sweet model to light her hair a bit (draped the diffuser cover from my softbox over it), and one more camera left quite a few feet back to light the back of the chest. 

My six-year-old has informed me just how unoriginal this idea is. After seeing the picture, she said excitedly, "Lots of movies have light coming out of a book or a box." Sigh... Well, at least I got some good lighting practice. :)

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Had a young lady in for some portfolio work in the studio. Afterwards we went out and got a couple outside just for fun.

24261904072_b9c6f8fcd0_b.jpg

Tara by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

24287642241_f2510f9dc1_b.jpg

23741869714_b66e5447a5_b.jpg

23946179289_398729f645_b.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Wow! Beautiful young lady, and your lighting is gorgeous and flattering too. Well done!

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow! Beautiful young lady, and your lighting is gorgeous and flattering too. Well done!

Thanks.... The studio shots were lit with a really big octabox, a light on the back ground and one above with a little gridded beauty dish as a hair light. This seems to be my go to lighting setup in the studio.

The outside one was with my Godox AD360 and a 22" beauty dish camera right. First time using it in HSS mode. The sun was so bright behind her I was almost being blinded through the viewfinder. It was 200mm, f2.8, 1/800s, ISO 64. I think the AD360 was on 1/2 power?

I have been very pleasantly surprised at how these photos have turned out. Not brilliant as far as posing goes. But the technicalities are good.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag

And I guess I'll start us off this week--this was my assignment for last week for Project 52 Pros (I shot it tonight--a day past deadline...oops). We were to come up with an illustration for a story about the new year, and I decided to make it ambiguous. You could look at it as a mysterious gift or treasure, or you could interpret as Pandora's box. Who knows what the year holds? But let's hope for the former, right? I also went for some symbolism and included the hourglass, which had just been turned.

24220518952_3c3836bb90_b.jpg2016: A Mysterious Gift by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

Used the 85mm 1.8G for this one. ISO 100, f4.5, 1/100. Three speedlights: one gelled with orange and yellow inside the box (which had a piece of white paper taped to the lid to spill the light back onto the table a bit), one above and behind my sweet model to light her hair a bit (draped the diffuser cover from my softbox over it), and one more camera left quite a few feet back to light the back of the chest. 

My six-year-old has informed me just how unoriginal this idea is. After seeing the picture, she said excitedly, "Lots of movies have light coming out of a book or a box." Sigh... Well, at least I got some good lighting practice. :)

That's wonderful lighting. I like the setting you have created and the fact not everything is lit. I think people, including me, forget the importance of shadows.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Two macros from me this week:

gallery_1251_413_209166.jpg

Body: D700

Lens: MicroNikkor 55/3.5 Ai + PN11

ISO: 200
Aperture: 3.5
Shutter: 1/60
Flash with 29° reflector and 11 cm deep cylindrical snoot camera left, 45° horizontal, 0° vertical. Flash setup with the snoot touching the lens barrel

gallery_1251_413_73519.jpg

Body: D700

Lens: MicroNikkor 55/3.5 Ai + PN11

ISO: 200

Aperture: 16
Shutter: 1/200
Flash with 29° reflector and 11 cm deep cylindrical snoot camera left, 45° horizontal, 0° vertical. Flash with 18° reflector and 5 mm raster, 20 mm deep camera right, 45° horizontal, -10° vertical. Both flashes as close as possible.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I did some sport shooting one day this week at a girls junior varsity soccer match.  I Used my D750 with my Nikon DX 18-300 lens, auto iso (1st time). It took a while to get used to the decreased framing (cutting off heads and/or feet), but I think the lens performed well. 1/4000 @ f5.6 - 8.0

Attached Thumbnails

• MHS womens soccer-3.jpg
  • MHS womens soccer-2.jpg
  • MHS womens soccer.jpg

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Two black and white captures this week, taken at night.

Both are wide angle and long exposure.

The BW results from a postprocessing in LR, first using the BW preset #3, and then tweaking the resulting rake.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452975975.840152.jpg
D610 Nikkor 24-120/4 24mm f11 15s@ISO200

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452976103.266013.jpg
D610 Nikkor 24-120/4 24mm f14 30s@ISO200

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

Its been 7 weeks recovering from throat and nose surgery and then a bout of shingles that really did me in.  So it was nice to get out today to do some photography.  I went looking for eagles.  Saw a few but not close enough for any good pictures.  But there were planty of geese and I found a couple Bison.

D7200, Nikkor 35mm f/1.8

ISO500, f/9, 1/160s

24340110811_c8bff82ff5_o.jpgDSC_1505-1 by Tim Ramsay, on Flickr

D7200 Tamron 150-600mm

ISO 1000, f/10,600mm,1/1600s

24126963750_eb67102778_o.jpgDSC_1385-1 by Tim Ramsay, on Flickr

Great Picture

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington

I did some sport shooting one day this week at a girls junior varsity soccer match.  I Used my D750 with my Nikon DX 18-300 lens, auto iso (1st time). It took a while to get used to the decreased framing (cutting off heads and/or feet), but I think the lens performed well. 1/4000 @ f5.6 - 8.0

Crazy women in that first shot - attempting a header that low down is almost asking for a kick in the face.  Did you wince as you took that photo?

Nicole

I've praised this photo on Flickr but love it so much I must say again I think it is really marvellous and de la Tourish:)

The Guayas, entering Wellington Harbour in front of bank of fog this afternoon.

Nikon D600 and Nikkor 300mm pf

gallery_1037_427_117785.jpg

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Some really good images posted.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA

Had a great time at Conowingo damn, so hard to pick out just a couple. But here they are.

24152433860_46f5145cdc_k.jpgEagles fishing-1 by James Childress, on Flickr''

24339784612_a82423c484_k.jpgEagle high five-1 by James Childress, on Flickr

24080258059_47db6ea2bf_k.jpgEagle cluster-1-5 by James Childress, on Flickr

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I slipped out to do some documenting for some family members this morning. I took the D200 wit the 24/2.8  and 70-210 AF. I ended up with the 24 for almost all the shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• Readyville-D200-007.jpg
  • Readyville-D200-035.jpg
  • Readyville-civil-war-hospit.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Lots of great photos this week!  

No opportunity for me to shoot this week...going back to an image from last year, a phone photo of my wonderful mother-in-law who passed away this week...She lived with my wife and I for the last 22 years and passed in her sleep at 88.  This image was taken in one of her favorite places, our RV while we were visiting with one of our boys...

FullSizeRender.jpg

Thankfully she was able to spend time with every member of her family and lots of their friends at my niece's wedding over Thanksgiving weekend...

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
Sorry for your loss Tom. It's always a blessing when they pass peacefully. My grandfather went as he was riding to a routine checkup at 92. Just fell asleep one last time. So thankful for that.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Please accept my deepest condolences for your loss, Tom. I too am glad that she passed peacefully.

--Ron

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Sorry for you loss, Tom. Please pass on my condolences to your wife.

Jerry

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Funny peculiar, yes, you see some scary, though innocent, moves watching amateur sports.

Tbonz, sorry for you loss and my condolences to your family.  I pray my Mom, 96, soon to be 97, passes as peacefully.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Tom, I'm glad you have that lovely photo to remember her by--I'm guessing you have many others as well. Sometimes it's a blessing to have a photographer in the family. I'm sorry to hear of your loss, and I hope your wife especially is able to find peace and comfort. It's hard to lose a parent! You are wonderful and generous people for taking care of her for the last 22 years--it says a lot about you that you describe her as "wonderful." What a privilege for your sons to get to know her during that time and to see your example of kindness and generosity.