Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sub-Zero Nikon D4

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DTBPhoto

DTBPhoto

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I have recently undertaken a snowmobile adventure from karesuvanto finland to the Norwegian Border, the temperature fluctuated between -18 degrees and -22, I had taken my ,.Nikon D4 with 24-70 f/2.8 lens in a lowepro Toploder Pro AW75 II, it protected the camera great, it was still cold to the touch but after 2 hours on the back of a snowmobile it worked flawlessly, there was minor battery drain using and managed to get some of the shots I wanted, will be investing in more lowepro kit, well worth it

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

This shows how conservative Nikon's weather recommendations are. I have frequently been out in -35°C for whole days shooting and the only precautions necessary are extra batteries in an inner pocket and taking care not to fog up the lens or finder with breath. Keeping the photographer working well is another thing altogether... The Pro AW series from Lowepro are well made but the zippers can drive you crazy compared to the strap closures on a Billingham. Zippers are better than Velcro, at least.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I prefer to keep my D4 bodies in the 50-90F range...not because the cold concerns me for the bodies...rather the photographer prefers those temps :)!

It does look like a nice setup for carrying the body / lens combo...Hope you share some of your images in the weekly Best Photo section!  I would love to see them...

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I have recently undertaken a snowmobile adventure from karesuvanto finland to the Norwegian Border, the temperature fluctuated between -18 degrees and -22, I had taken my ,.Nikon D4 with 24-70 f/2.8 lens in a lowepro Toploder Pro AW75 II, it protected the camera great, it was still cold to the touch but after 2 hours on the back of a snowmobile it worked flawlessly, there was minor battery drain using and managed to get some of the shits I wanted, will be investing in more lowepro kit, well worth it

Are you talking real degrees (°C) or those archaic fareheit ones? :wacko:

DTBPhoto

DTBPhoto

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Russ

hi it was actual degrees, i confirmed it with my own measurement tool, and my fingers  :ph34r:

Merco_61

you are right about the zippers, they are a pain especially in low light conditions, but the loop opener was welcomed, meant i did not have to take my shooter gloves off to get it out of the bag