Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Upgrading, D7000, D7100, D600

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

ThePicturesofYou

ThePicturesofYou

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLas Vegas

Ok so I have been watching and waiting and anticipating... I currently shoot with a D90 has about 50,000 shots off and I'm getting ready for the upgrade.... can you weigh in and let me know which one you like and why? would love some Nikon love recommendations :rolleyes:

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Considering how small the difference in price is between the D7000 and the D71000, I'd say the D7100 is the natural upgrade path, unless you crave full frame!

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

I have to  agree for the US having looked at the prices the D7100 does make more sense in the UK it not as clear as there is a massive 27% price difference you do have to work out if the extra features are worth the extra money to you!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I'd skip right to the D7100, it's a very nice camera. The D600 would be tempting too... guess it depends if you'd want a top of the line DX or an entry level FX body. Oh.. and wait a little longer the D610 will be out soon if you choose to go that route.

ThePicturesofYou

ThePicturesofYou

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLas Vegas
Thanks guys... I'm so torn... I grew up with film and went to college with it so when the digital age evolved I grew to love digital even tho I said I wouldn't and the dx is the only model I've had now with the full frame option open I'm torn I have read thousands of reviews and I always pick the minds of other photogs I still don't know which way to go both have some outstanding attributes. Thank you for your feedback and you guys are awesome!!!

cjmillsnun

cjmillsnun

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPetersfield, Hampshire, UK

A big consideration when deciding between the 7100 and the 600 (given the small price difference between the 7000 and 7100 in the US I would discount the 7000) is your glass.  If most of your lenses are DX lenses then you're not going to get the best out of a 600 without spending some serious money.  It will work, but you'll be shooting in DX mode or you'll have vignetting. You would be better sticking with a DX body.

If however your glass is mainly FX or dates back to your film days then the choice becomes much tougher.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Go with the 7100, plenty of features, good price in the US, cheaper lenses and the money you save going full frame can be spent on a nice lens too.

I love my 7100 and would highly recommend it.

bhairavp

bhairavp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Another vote for the D7100. Great camera.

wedgtail

wedgtail

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAdealaide

I jumped ship from Pentax to D600 so I guess I am Biased on fx side your lens collection will definitely be a factor  in your choice .

davephotosmith

davephotosmith

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I own a D7100 - my first Nikon and it is by far the most amazing camera (crop sensor) - if you are considering the D600 - check for the new D610 there was a weather proofing issue (dust on the sensor) issue that has been fixed in the upgrade.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

OK i have now purchased a D7100 and with it came ViewNX 2 sofware. Do you have to use this to download video from the camera. Does anyone use it and can they advise it's application?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

You can transfer the file directly via USB or using an SD memory card slot. No real experience with ViewNX unfortunately. 

ThePicturesofYou

ThePicturesofYou

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLas Vegas

out of curiosity, how is the video option on the D7000 and the D7100? I also have kids I would like to use the video option for, the D90 is a bit slow and choppy?? Any feedback on those?

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

D7100 is all the rave.  It's such a capable camera and can compete with full frames as far as features.  The major difference is the smaller crop sensor.  Other then that its the bomb camera.

Tony892

Tony892

Tony892

• Forum Member
  • 1,008 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Site Supporter

D7100 is all the rave.  It's such a capable camera and can compete with full frames as far as features.  The major difference is the smaller crop sensor.  Other then that its the bomb camera.

Wells aid Jay.

Wells said Jay.

Jay

Jay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Country Flag

Wells aid Jay.

Thanks Tony!  I think people are starting to realize with all the amazing glass and capabilities of DX cameras that FX is no longer all the rave and not the end all of taking great shots!

OK i have now purchased a D7100 and with it came ViewNX 2 sofware. Do you have to use this to download video from the camera. Does anyone use it and can they advise it's application?

Not totally sure but I'm pretty sure ViewNX is just a simple editing software tool.  It is not necessary to download videos.  Video's are saved right to your computer as .mov files if I'm not mistaken.  Either way I have D5100 and have never had to use ViewNX for editing or video downloading.

ThePicturesofYou

ThePicturesofYou

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLas Vegas
Thanks guys I have finally decided I'm headed to get the 7100 I have a few hundred dollars already invested in 5 lenses and I'm thinking this is gonna be an awesome upgrade from my D90 you guys Rock!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Thanks guys I have finally decided I'm headed to get the 7100 I have a few hundred dollars already invested in 5 lenses and I'm thinking this is gonna be an awesome upgrade from my D90 you guys Rock!

Thats great, I'm sure you will love your new 7100. Looking forward to hearing how you get on and what you think of your new camera once you get it. 

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

You're going to love the D7100. I had the D7000 and upgraded and the difference is just amazing. It doesn't seem like that much on paper but it really is a much better camera.

Daniel

Daniel

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

You're going to love the D7100. I had the D7000 and upgraded and the difference is just amazing. It doesn't seem like that much on paper but it really is a much better camera.

I agree, I found the same.