Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The Lookout. One if by land, two if by sea.

the lookout

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Tony, I took the liberty of downloading your photo to check the EXIF to see if something in your camera settings could explain the edge sharpening artifacts. Capture NX2 and NX-D reported that you use the scene mode Landscape, which sets sharpening to Auto in the D70. Photoshop reported that the sharpening was set to 2, which is maximum. This would explain the oversharpening as your software probably sharpens for screen automagically every time you save the jpeg in post on top of the already aggressive sharpening in camera. 

To get better, more predictable results, try using only the basic modes (PASM) with Image enhancement (p. 56 in the manual) set to Normal, at least in high-contrast situations. With the Vari-programs, you leave too much up to the camera. Remember that the computer in your camera can't read your mind as to what is important in the scene. 

Using the Landscape Vari-program can also explain the vivid, oversaturated colours you experience as the camera cranks the saturation way up to cut through ground haze and get nice, vivid greens and reds when used with a wide angle and long distances.

Peter,  I thank you sincerely for taking the time to hunt down the problem.  I do admire your tenacity.  I have made the adjustments as you have instructed.  It appears as though I have been guilty of treating my D70 as just another SLR, when in fact it does demand more attention to detail.  Once again, thank you very much for your assistance.

Tony

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Never ending saga of Tony and his issues with the color red.  Mia Culpa.

My fault.  I decided to get back into Windows Live Photo Gallery and bring up the lookout again.  I had a brain storm and thought of reverting the image to its original condition.  Lo and behold, there was no visible piping as before.  I did magnify the image to the maximum and there is just a hint of piping, however, nothing like before.  I straightened the image to where it is now better than before.  Also, I decided to spare the lives of the two people walking on the sand.  I would like to take a poll and see how many thumbs up (live) or thumbs down (be eliminated).  Apparently I am guilty of over sharpening and did not notice the white piping.  Just shoot me.  :)).

Again, many, many thanks for the helpful information.

Regards,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0757.JPG

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,527 posts
  • Country Flag
Hi Tony, keep the second (i.e. New version) :)

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yep, this one is better. Also, yeah... spare the people! Give'm a break.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: the, lookout