Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Testing 123, testing.

35 to 70 80

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

I am entertaining the thought of letting go of one of my Nikon AF Nikkor lenses.  So, to help me decide which to sell or donate, I decided to try a homemade test.  The two lenses are: Nikon AF Nikkor 35~70 mm 1:3.3~4.5 non D lens.  The second is: Nikon AF Nikkor 35~80 mm 1:4~5.6D lens.  I am looking for clarity and not exposure as you will see is evident.  Although, the one with the better exposure looks a little sharper, but that is subjective.  I like both lenses a lot, since they are both splendid lenses.  Well, here goes, wish me luck.  Tony

Okay, here is the second one.  They are both very close as far as sharpness and overall performance.  The better exposed one is the shorter of the two.  Thanks for any comments and suggestions.  One idea I have would be to let go of both lenses and use the Nikon AF Nikkor 28~105 mm D lens since the ranges are covered with it.  Many thanks, number one is the 35~70, and two is the 35~80 mm, just for any new folks.

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0917.JPG
  • DSC_0916.JPG

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,632 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As the 35-70 draws so like the 28-105, letting go of that one should be easy. The 35-80 never did well when it comes to clarity and sharpness, but it draws different from anything else for moody dawn or dusk landscapes. I still miss the one I had, but I gave it away with a F801 to get a friend's son started with film some years ago.

Alden did a series of misty dawn captures in February 2014 with his that show these qualities admirably.

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

As the 35-70 draws so like the 28-105, letting go of that one should be easy. The 35-80 never did well when it comes to clarity and sharpness, but it draws different from anything else for moody dawn or dusk landscapes. I still miss the one I had, but I gave it away with a F801 to get a friend's son started with film some years ago.

Alden did a series of misty dawn captures in February 2014 with his that show these qualities admirably.

I like both lenses based on each one's merit.  The 35~70 is a hefty lens being all metal.  The 35~80 d, because of the faster auto-focus and being lightweight since it is comprised of plastic, but a quality plastic.  I am in the process of having my color negatives converted to digital so you will see that my view is that of color prints.  I am eager to get them on board this computer.  Thanks Peter.  Tony

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 35, to, 70, 80