Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Call off the hunt, I found Red October!

sub marine rock

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Hi Ron,

First and foremost, I do not feel as though you are being overly critical.  In fact, I am very impressed with your and others' willingness to be helpful and making this a very educational and enjoyable experience. Getting back to the original photo, I recall my thinking that after so many attempts to produce a favorable photo, I decided to use my Hoya HMC CPL and create a sort of silhouette affect.  This was an extremely bright day with very harsh sunlight which is never ideal.  I liked the scene a lot and hated the idea of walking away from it empty handed.  Well, it appears as though I have some work to do with pic.  Again, many thanks for your informative review.  Will get back to you soon.

Tony

Hi Ron,

Admittedly, I am in a quandary.  I like all three of them.  The first was the desired affect I was after.  The second looks real good after softening the rock formation and bringing out the details hidden in the foreground shadows.  Now, the third is a real head scratcher for me.  The more I look at it, the more I like it and want to stay with it.  I did remove the dust spot and will try to get the new, new and improved version uploaded.  The problem with the rock formation is that it is lava.  The entire Cascade Mountain Range runs from Northern California and up to and including Vancouver, British Columbia.  I would ask that (if you would not mind) to look at the third version and see if you do not find it more appealing and interesting than the others.  It takes a few minutes and it works for me.  Thanks again,

Tony

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Hi Tony,

Hope you had a nice Christmas. I was totally off line yesterday. Didn't even boot the computers up. LOL

The images I'm seeing are the same as before. Dust spots and all. What am I missing? Did you upload them to another section... or someplace else? That said...

As I alluded to in another comment, the only one you have to please is you. If you like a particular image treatment then by all means go with it. It's your work. You should present your vision... not what someone else likes. 

I would encourage you to take part in the forums editing exercises that Peter curates in this same section. You can learn a great deal by seeing how others 'work' an image. You might even consider uploading one of your own images and let our gurus work it over. I've been amazed at some of the transformations I've seen over there.

--Ron 

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 2,517 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

Okay, here is the fourth version.  All I did this time was to click on the noise reduction button.  I agree it does look a bit better and not so harsh.

Thanks again for all everyone's encouragement.  On this version I do not see any dust spots.

Tony

Attached Thumbnails

• 08-25-2018 Ecola Park 003.JPG

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,260 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I agree. That does look better. And, I don't see the spots anymore either.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: sub, marine, rock