Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Fed up with this weather now

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

mikew

mikew

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorth East Lincs

100% cloud cover this morning but decided to go anyway,not too unhappy with this though @ 3200 ISO

DSC_2322.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

As long as it isn't raining, cloudy skies usually make for pretty good photos. Especially if you're shooting during the middle part of the day when the sun is at it's highest. The clouds act much the same way as a diffusion layer over either a flash or continuous light source. Think of the sun as your lighting rig. The clouds are helping to soften and spread the light in such a way as to eliminate harsh shadows. This also has the effect of lowering contrast making proper exposures much easier to obtain.

On a sunny day, there would be zero detail under the wings of your very nice duck photo. The neck area would also in all likelihood be totally blocked up. And, if you opened up the lens to get proper exposure there, the whites would probably end up being totally blown out. Some of that could be corrected in post, some not.

So, cloudy days (again, as long as it isn't raining.... or sometimes, even if it is) can be a blessing in disguise.

--Ron

Tony

Tony

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,520 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationBeaverton, Oregon

Site Supporter

100% cloud cover this morning but decided to go anyway,not too unhappy with this though @ 3200 ISO

attachicon.gifDSC_2322.jpg

Beautifully done.  Thanks for sharing.  

Tonytee

BulletProofSoul

BulletProofSoul

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag

Very nice!  BIF shots are a challenge at least for me.  I like it...

LRS

LRS

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

I like this, sharp where it needs to be and the motion blur in the wings is just right in my opinion. Well done.