Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8E ED VR

nikon 24-70 vr f2.8e

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Please note I do not have this lens. I just came across this and thought I would share some of what has come from this review. Like all things Dx0 there is more to a lens than pure numbers. But still it is a good, scientific basis for comparison.

Interesting this updated lens seems to have gone backwards while costing more.

Here is a copy n paste of the conclusion....

Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8E Conclusion: Disappointing DxOMark scores

With the original Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8G version announced in 2007 and thus over 8 years old, an updated version for the Nikkor lineup was due. The 24-70mm f/2.8E’s new features are certainly welcome additions, particularly the inclusion of a four-stop VR system, which makes this popular zoom lens even more versatile.

But what seems to be a complete redesign of the optical system has made an already bulky lens even bigger and heavier, which is a serious consideration if you’re looking for an all-in-one lens to carry around a lot. At $2,397, it’s pretty expensive, too — in fact, $600 more than the original G-type version and a whopping $1,100 over theTamron 24-70mm f2.8 Di VC USD third-party equivalent. Perhaps all of that could be forgiven if the new Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8E had raised the bar for optical performance, but as we’ve seen from its DxOMark scores, this disappointingly isn’t the case. Overall sharpness is down compared to its predecessor and slightly worse at the critical setting of f/2.8. While chromatic aberration has been improved slightly, it’s still far from good at the wider focal lengths.

comp2_scores.jpg

All I'll add is I am still more than happy with my Tamron  :D

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I saw this on Nikon Rumors the other day and had one of those slap the forehead moments. Wait. What? It's not as good?

I see this as a pretty big deal because Dx0 is so well respected in camera circles. Of course, as you allude to, the proof is in the pudding. If I were considering an upgrade from the old lens (which I'm not) or a new purchase (which I'm not) I'd wait to see what the boys and girls in the field have to say and, more importantly, see what their images look like. 

--Ron

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Here is another test and article of the Nikon 24-70 2.8E compared to the old version. They report that new lens is better in sharpness across the frame. Go figure...

All I'll add is I am still more than happy with my Tamron  :D

I couldn't agree more :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Gordon Laing at Cameralabs has tested the new lens too, and there seems to be some sample variation and lack of QC at play. As it is even larger and heavier than my 24-70 Nikkor that already doesn't get to play when hobby shooting as it is too heavy when not getting paid, I am not too interested in upgrading either. I tend to use either a Tamron 28-75 or primes when hobby shooting.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I'll be holding onto my Nikkor 24-70 2.8G, thank you very much. I love that lens--it is by far my most used lens. It's sharp as a tack and never misses focus (can't say the same about my two Tamrons, sorry). So, the new E version...meh.

Since the glass is such high quality, I don't feel the same need to update a lens as I might a camera body. (I think a 750 or 810 might be in the cards for 2016--we'll see.)

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I've seen other photographers using the Nikkor 24-70 F/2.8G and it does look awful large for it's focal length. However, you can't argue with it's success. It seems to be the 'go to' lens for many working photographers. Nikon set the bar pretty high when they created that lens. There's little wonder that the new lens might have trouble besting it. And, I can't help but wonder if the inclusion of VR in the new lens might have an impact on optical performance.

Nicole, even though I can't remember where I saw it, I've read some rumblings about a new 8xx series camera coming out at about the same time as the D5. So, you might have an even newer high end ax to consider when the time comes.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I am quite happy with my Nikon 24-70 as well.  Since I shoot lots of sports, I can't say it is my most used lens, but it is definitely a go-to lens.  I generally run one of my longer lenses as my primary and the 24-70 to catch close up action, crowd and other things where I don't need the reach.  It certainly isn't what I'd call a small lens...but, when you are carrying a monopod with a D4 and a 200-400, you don't notice the D4 with the 24-70 too much!  It definitely gets some action at every game though...and I'm glad I have it!  Definitely don't plan on replacing it any time soon!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Nicole, even though I can't remember where I saw it, I've read some rumblings about a new 8xx series camera coming out at about the same time as the D5. So, you might have an even newer high end ax to consider when the time comes.

--Ron

I've heard this as well--rumors are flying about next summer, so we'll see. :)

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
I'm going to be a D5 Guinea pig..

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

OTR - I'll be happy to test it for you under a variety of conditions if you want!  Shouldn't take more than a few years!!!

:D

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
Yea sure, better let me check both of your D4's till then though...

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag

I found a used D4 with only 33k clicks that comes with an xqd reader and a RRS L bracket for 2900. Very tempting..

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

That's a pretty good deal!  Jump fast! :)  That will save quite a bit over a D5 which can be spent on glass!

oldaussie

oldaussie

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi Guys

How do you compare this with Nikon 24-85 lens in terms of sharpness? 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

No contest! Even the non-VR version so many of us use is much better than the 24-85.

zeke4351

zeke4351

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag
I have found the best way to determine how good the image quality of any lens is to look at the pictures taken with the lens on Flicker. I have not failed to find lots of pictures posted for any lens that I have searched for. You can see also how the lens performs on different cameras. If you start doing these searches and looking at the image quality you will find DXO not even close on a lot of lenses. They get something right sometimes but most of the time they are completely wrong. They also make up and use terms that don't exist.

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

So basicly, Tammy 24-70 VC is the king of the hill? But.... Focus matches the Nikkor, or?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I would say the Nikon is king of the hill and the Tammy is an excellent deal for the price...I've used both...Tammy probably not quite as quick focusing but it is an excellent lens...

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
Just picked up a Nikon version from KEH for $1350 in Like New condition. Saved $450 compared to a new one, sacrificing the Nikon warranty. The lens was in mint condition, and all seems to be working fine. Hoping that any issues it has mechanically will show in the first 6 months.

I went back and forth between this and the Tamron for a long time. The reports of onion bokeh in the Tamron were what pushed me to Nikon. And at this price, it's not much more than a new Tamron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Just picked up a Nikon version from KEH for $1350 in Like New condition. Saved $450 compared to a new one, sacrificing the Nikon warranty. The lens was in mint condition, and all seems to be working fine. Hoping that any issues it has mechanically will show in the first 6 months.

I went back and forth between this and the Tamron for a long time. The reports of onion bokeh in the Tamron were what pushed me to Nikon. And at this price, it's not much more than a new Tamron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You got the Nikon VR for 1350?  Sounds like a no brainer.  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, 24-70, vr, f2.8e