Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Joined this forum to seek advice on which Nikon I should purchase for my first owned DSLR =]

new

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

EmilyPersephone

EmilyPersephone

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan

Hello! My name is Emily, and I am 22!

I joined this forum beacuse I plan to purchase my first DSLR this holiday season, and while I know I want Nikon for sure, I don't know which model I should get, and the specs are close enough that I'm not quite sure how the experience will differ.

I have always been interested in photography, but never had access to the equipment or technology until I met a new friend, after high school. I didn't want to invest in a dslr until I was familiar enough with them to be able to choose the best one for my needs, so he helped me start learning the very basics of editing via Adobe Lightroom, using photos taken with my sony cybershot. 

Then 6 months ago, I started a beginners digital photography class at my college that allowed me to rent a camera nd equipment, and learn more about the technology and how to use it the way I want. 

I am now in the second part of the course, and am still using the rented Canon Rebel T5 and I just HATE it. I struggle with blur, ruining so many wonderful photos, every shoot. I've tried image stabilization lenses, shooting in bright sunlight with a fast shutter speed, tripods, even self timer, and the images just aren't coming out as sharp and crisp as I want them to, let alone as sharp as they should be. 

So I'e decided it's time to purchase a DSLR of my own. Two models that someone recommended to me are the D7200 and the D7100, but I want to see what the people here think. 

My budget is no more than $1,150.00 ish (Unless the extra cost is truly worth it), but I'm hoping I can snag a holiday deal and spend the saved amount on a lens. 

The photography I do is portrait photography, fashion, beauty, alternative, and editorial to be exact. I learned during that first semester that while I love photography and documenting my life with it, what I am most interested in is staging elaborate and creative shoots with models and other artists who need their work documented in photo form. I have spent the last 2 months working with a friend who is going to school for special effects makeup, and I enjoy our shoots tremendously. I love working with her, and lvoe the photos that result from it. We;e even attracted the attention of an indie makeup company that is commissioning us to shoot their winter campaign. It's a small brand, but I love their products and am honored to be working with them. 

However, each shoot is a struggle due to the t5 acting up, and I need a camera that I can rely on, to get extremely detailed, sharp images of very intricate makeup and fashion looks. 

So, while I know lenses can make all the difference, which camera would you recommend for my budget, for very sharp, crisp images? 

Bonus points if it somehow is good for people with shaky hands. (Though my shaky hands are not always the reason for the t5 blurring, as I said, it has blurred even when manually focusing and using a self timer on a tripod. xD) I have a chronic autoimmune disease that causes boughts of fatigue/muscle weakness, and shaky hands. 

I also have poor vision. I don't know if that matters really (I know if effects my editing, but don't know if it effects the actual photoshoot process other than mis judging settings based on what I see in the viewfinder. But that seems like something that would be solved via shooting with a camera linked to a monitor), but I wear glasses, and often find that something will look sharp on the camera but then blurry when it's up loaded to my computer. 

So, if anyone can help me at all, I'd really appreciate it!! I really want to take my work to the next level and take more professional looking, crisp images during shoots. Especially with all the projects I have coming up, working with various makeup schools and brands!

This is my facebook page for my photography, it may help show you what I do, better than my explanation could explain. (Though I have yet to be able to shoot anything truly elaborate and dramatic. One day!!)

https://www.facebook...honephotography

Also, I attached an image that I shot yesterday during a practice shoot with the special fx artist, and it's a good example of how the photos are coming out blurred, and not nearly as sharp as they need to be for this sort of shoot. 

Thank you, very much, and I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!

Attached Thumbnails

• jvl  (1 of 1).jpg

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Hello and welcome to the forum Emily!

Is your budget limited to body only or with a lens? If you also want a lens you should get the d7100, af-s 50/1.8 and af-s dx 35/1.8 lenses for your portrait work. Although both lenses lack VR, I think they are more than capable of producing great images. Also d7100 is a very good camera. Or instead of a prime lens you get 17-50/2.8 lens from Sigma or Tamron which are also highly rated.

As far as I know Nikon d7200 has an expeed 4 processor, larger buffer for continuous shooting, built-in wi-fi and better video functions. But all this comes with a much higher price tag.

Maybe someone else has a better idea :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I agree with Urban about the body. The D7200 is better in many ways, but the price difference is too large for such marginal gains for what you want to use it for. I am not sure that the Tamron 17-50 is up to the resolution of the D7100. I feel it got slightly soft already with the D7000. The Sigma or the primes are solid performers, though. Another lens to look for is the 60 MicroNikkor. It is *very* sharp, a nice focal length for portraiture on a DX body and has the close-up capabilities you might need for nail art or jewelry. All versions are exceptional in optical performance and work fully on D7xxx bodies.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Both the cameras you mention are excellent bodies...The D5500 is about the same price (body only) as the D7100 and FOR ME, I'd choose the D7100 as the specs would work better for me.  Based on your budget, you could pick up the D7100 with a 2 lens kit within your budget.  Those would be kit lenses, but you can look around here and see some excellent images from "kit" lenses.  

I might suggest you compare the performance of the D5500 and D7100 (and maybe some others like the D5200, D3300) to see which features and specs are most important to you.  I agree with the comments above on prime lenses - they are excellent lenses and are fairly light weight which should make hand holding easier for you.  The better lenses you can get, the better your images will be which is why I mentioned the other bodies - they are less expensive and would give you more funds for glass if glass is also needs to be included in your budget.  

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

I agree with the above opinions. I have a D7100 and a 50mm 1.8 lens (older version - from 2007) and I can get fantastic sharp images with just that lens on that body alone. 

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Country Flag

I am very, very nearsighted- correctable with thick glasses. The Nikon DSLR's with built-in eyepiece adjustments are a must for me.

With regard to holding the camera steady: lenses with built in vibration reduction are expensive. For a DSLR: I would suggest using a Tripod. Finding one that you can work with for your type of photography should be doable. The alternative is to buy a mirrorless camera with built-in image stabilization. I have this on my Olympus EP-2 (now 6 years old) and it is like getting an extra stop or two of shutter speed. As it is built into the camera, it works with all of the lenses that can be used with it.

I would go with a "7000" series camera as it can be used with older lenses. Some of these classics are favored for the type of photography that you are interested in. Being able to focus manually with poor eyesight takes practice, but I was able to overcome that problem while a teenager some 45 years ago. Practice, which is even easier with digital cameras. Buying a DSLR with High-ISO performance means being able to use faster shutter speeds. That will help eliminate some problems with shake.

The D7200 is better than the D7100- but not by much, according to DX0mark-

Nikon D7200 vs Nikon D7100 vs

Welcome to the forum.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Also meant to include the option of buying a used or refurbished body from a reputable dealer.  I've done that with several bodies and lenses - it saves some money and might get you a bit more than you thought you could afford...at least worth looking into to see what they have...an example right here in the Nikon Forums!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I'd agree with the option of going for the D7100, I've used mine now for a couple of years and it gives excellent images. The Nikon 50mm 1.8G lens is fantastic and should provide you with great portraits. And agree that a MACRO lens would help you with the close up work on nails and jewelry. The D7100 will also allow you to grow with the camera when you start to do more manual settings and learn more about photography.

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Hello Emily, as you will no doubt now know, there are many great people on this site who will freely offer their advice and help to you wherever they can. I am not going to add to anything else to the advice that has been given already since it is all good, solid advice from knowledgeable people.

I did have a look at your Facebook page from the link you provided and I just wanted to say well done on what you have achieved so far; I like the way you are going with your photography, especially since you say you only really started this 6 months or so ago.

I hope that whichever camera you end up with, it helps to achieve taking you in the direction that you want to go in with your photography and I hope you remain with the Forum here so we can see how you develop your photography style and skills.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: new