Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D750 - Grey import?

d750 grey import register import

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Visions11

Visions11

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

I have bought a new D750 from an internet site and I am really pleased with it (and the price). However, when I tried to register it with Nikon, the site didn't recognise the S/N. A friend of mine has told me that I have probably bought a grey import which was why it was so cheap. WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I don't really know what this means except that he tells me that I have not bought it through Nikon UK and so Nikon UK warranty is not valid. 

What are the other implications? I know it is too late now but would like to know for the future:

Does it have inferior components or parts or is it exactly the same as any other D750?

Will it be impossible to repair if it goes faulty outside the suppliers warranty period?

I realise, now, that Nikon UK warranty is not valid - they didn't tell me that when I bought it :(

But what else have I let myself in for?

I realise that if nothing goes wrong I am ok (I think)

all info will be gratefully received

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,334 posts
  • Country Flag

I have bought a new D750 from an internet site and I am really pleased with it (and the price). However, when I tried to register it with Nikon, the site didn't recognise the S/N. A friend of mine has told me that I have probably bought a grey import which was why it was so cheap. WHAT HAVE I DONE?

I don't really know what this means except that he tells me that I have not bought it through Nikon UK and so Nikon UK warranty is not valid. 

What are the other implications? I know it is too late now but would like to know for the future:

Does it have inferior components or parts or is it exactly the same as any other D750?

Will it be impossible to repair if it goes faulty outside the suppliers warranty period?

I realise, now, that Nikon UK warranty is not valid - they didn't tell me that when I bought it :(

But what else have I let myself in for?

I realise that if nothing goes wrong I am ok (I think)

all info will be gratefully received

There's probably nothing wrong with the camera itself; grey market just means that your serial number was originally meant to be sold in a different region. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

There is no difference between a grey import and a camera for the region you are in. I don't know if Nikon UK wash their hands at grey imports like in the US or if they repair things but charge for the repair. I don't even know how Nikon Sweden handle it as I never have bought anything grey market. I only buy *used* from outside the EU to minimize the hassle.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Like Peter said, there's no telling.

Hopefully, you'll never need repairs but if you do, it's likely that Nikon will refuse to do those repairs. This is the case in the US. They basically disown you for buying gray market. And, as I understand it, they even restrict parts to shops outside of their network of authorized service centers. That said, a friend had his Gray Market D80 repaired at an authorized Nikon Service Center a couple of years ago for a defective shutter box. Of course he had to pay for the repairs which ran a couple of hundred dollars US but they did repair the camera.

As they say,  your mileage may vary.

--Ron

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Hi Visions11, as others have said, there is nothing wrong or inferior with your D750 - it is a proper D750 that was simply not meant to have been sold in the UK.

I bought my last camera from a company in the UK who deal in grey imports (I knew that at the time and I researched the company to ensure it was legit) - they offer their own 3 year warranty rather than the Nikon 1 year warranty and to be honest, after many years of using Nikon equipment I have never had the need to return any of the equipment to Nikon using the warranty repair anyway, so for me it was a risk worth taking for the cost saving I got and I have now had my D610 for over 2 years without failure.

You will be able to do any firmware updates as normal. As you have found, you will not be able to register your camera with Nikon, but is that really important to you given the amount of money you saved? Other than using it as a means to gain qualificaiton for Nikon Professional User scheme I am not sure what other benfits there is of registering.

The only issue I can really see would be it there was a product recall similar to the D600 when Nikon had issues with the sensor and they cleaned /fixed things at their authroised repair centres in the UK at their cost, however the D750 has been out long enough now that I would not expect any recall notices to be issued for that product at this stage in its life.

So, simply go enjoy your D750 and I hope you have many trouble-free years of use from it!

Visions11

Visions11

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks to you all for your comments. Much appreciated.

I can rest easy now.

many thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d750, grey import, register, import