Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

light meter and flash in manual mode

light meter flash manual mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Donk

Donk

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationErie, PA

I have a question about my camera's light meter.  When I'm in manual mode I am having trouble understanding if the meter is working correctly or if that's just how it operates when using a flash.  Here's the situation:  D600 with the SB700 mounted on camera (turned on and in ttl).  I make all the adjustments to have the correct exposure but it seems like the light meter does not account for the flash.  Is that because i'm in manual and i'm supposed to adjust for that or something else?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The meter measures ambient light. This is important when shooting in manual as you probably don't want a well lit foreground in a black nothingness. If you measure ambient light one or two steps low, you will get a nice balance between foreground and background as the camera will fire a test flash to meter how much flash to add in addition to the available light.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

What Merco said.

The meter inside the camera mearues the available (ambient) light.  The meter inside the flash measures the output of light from the flash and works independent of the meter inside the camera.  How well the meter inside the camera works depends on your meter settings and lighting conditions. 

Donk

Donk

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationErie, PA

Thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: light meter, flash, manual mode