Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Here we go!

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

jrzayas

jrzayas

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Site Supporter

I love feedback on my work. I'm always looking for ways to improve and get better. Don't worry, you can be honest. I'll take the bad with the good.

9595178908_376eef06a8_b.jpg
Beach Fun by Jose Zayas, on Flickr

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

Love the image.  The cabana structure for some reason is distracting.  Maybe it could have used some opening up of the shadows or darkening down.  Right now it's kind of in the middle of the tonal range.  Love the sunset and the children playing.  The line of light leads your eye to the children.

jrzayas

jrzayas

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Site Supporter

Love the image.  The cabana structure for some reason is distracting.  Maybe it could have used some opening up of the shadows or darkening down.  Right now it's kind of in the middle of the tonal range.  Love the sunset and the children playing.  The line of light leads your eye to the children.

Thanks for your honest feedback! 

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

Where was the image taken?

Adamwesleyo

Adamwesleyo

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I like the cabana structure in there it's the tree that bothers me. It's just kind of there. Everything else is great it just seems like that tree is right there. 

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

I like the shot but agree there is something about the cabana and/or tree. I think it's the tree though. It just kind of splits the shot in two.

Still a great shot. Love shots of kids just doing what they do best.

Colin Green

Colin Green

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLincoln, England, UK

I feel the structure on the left does nothing for the image whatsoever.  What you have here is an absolutely stunning location, a beautiful sunset with people bathing,  the sea lapping onto the shore in the most wonderful light. You could perhaps have gone in closer and had the light playing on the people and also got down lower, nearer the wavelets so they could give you a lead in.

You are presumably a resident of Puerto Rico so are in the fortunate position of being able to retry.

It is still a beautiful image but imo it could be improved by a change of vantage point.

I like the shot but agree there is something about the cabana and/or tree. I think it's the tree though. It just kind of splits the shot in two.

Your right, that is also another solution to return the balance/harmony of the composition of this image - remove the tree using software.  The hut would then be assosciated with the bathers, imo also, the tree does act as a barrier

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

I like the cabana structure in there it's the tree that bothers me. It's just kind of there. Everything else is great it just seems like that tree is right there. 

I agree with the above.   

And it is still a great shot.

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Funny, we all spotted the life guard house as the "problem" with the image. Personally I'd be tempted to dial it down into a shadow. Your not losing any of the picture's story by making it a silhouette. Other than that the composition is great and the sky, wonderful.

jrzayas

jrzayas

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Site Supporter

Where was the image taken?

Ansel95, it was taken in Puerto Rico. Thanks for stopping by!

I feel the structure on the left does nothing for the image whatsoever.  What you have here is an absolutely stunning location, a beautiful sunset with people bathing,  the sea lapping onto the shore in the most wonderful light. You could perhaps have gone in closer and had the light playing on the people and also got down lower, nearer the wavelets so they could give you a lead in.

You are presumably a resident of Puerto Rico so are in the fortunate position of being able to retry.

It is still a beautiful image but imo it could be improved by a change of vantage point.

Your right, that is also another solution to return the balance/harmony of the composition of this image - remove the tree using software.  The hut would then be assosciated with the bathers, imo also, the tree does act as a barrier

I agree with the above.   

And it is still a great shot.

Funny, we all spotted the life guard house as the "problem" with the image. Personally I'd be tempted to dial it down into a shadow. Your not losing any of the picture's story by making it a silhouette. Other than that the composition is great and the sky, wonderful.

Thank you all for your input, it's greatly appreciated and will be put in practice!

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

I think you're right.  The cabana is fine it's the tree.  Maybe some fun with Photoshop would solve it.  Still, it's a very good image.

DanWeso

DanWeso

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

I think you're right.  The cabana is fine it's the tree.  Maybe some fun with Photoshop would solve it.  Still, it's a very good image.

I agree, without the tree is would make a fanstatic photo.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

The tree is too prominent in the composition.

ThePicturesofYou

ThePicturesofYou

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLas Vegas

I agree with everyone above, definitely the tree, but might I say the image of the family in the water is absolutely stunning! I love beach and sunset shots!! Keep up the great work and keep on sharing! You ROCK!!!

jrzayas

jrzayas

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Site Supporter

I agree, without the tree is would make a fanstatic photo.

The tree is too prominent in the composition.

I agree with everyone above, definitely the tree, but might I say the image of the family in the water is absolutely stunning! I love beach and sunset shots!! Keep up the great work and keep on sharing! You ROCK!!!

Thank you for the comments!!!

Bart

Bart

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • Country Flag

Another vote to lose the tree  :) .

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Me too, stunning location and great shot but the tree splits up the stairs of the cabana and distracts the eye slightly. Apart from that it's awesome, look forward to seeing some more of your pictures. :)

jrzayas

jrzayas

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 95 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPuerto Rico

Site Supporter

Another vote to lose the tree  :) .

Thanks Bart!

Me too, stunning location and great shot but the tree splits up the stairs of the cabana and distracts the eye slightly. Apart from that it's awesome, look forward to seeing some more of your pictures. :)

Will do!

GregM1

GregM1

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPine Forest, Texas

i agree with most of the comments. the location is superb, the colors are wonderfully vibrant, the depth of field is spot on, and the family in the sunbeam really make it a great shot. i also agree the tree is the problem. its like a black marker line through the heart of it. The cabana is a bit large and distracting. it seems to have two main subjects fighting for dominance in the one photo. i think had you moved back enough to capture the tree as a silhouette up to the top and above would have reduced the size of the cabana to an acceptable size and made a great sunset picture but would have also decreased the family size to non relevant. moving closer would have lost the cabana making the family the only main subject. thanks for sharing.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

the tree drew me immediately in before I was drawn to the rest of the picture, head back with an axe and take it again then post..

If it means another vacation then even better.. lol  Only joking leave the axe at home, its still a fantastic picture though