Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Orkney, Scotland

island seascape orkney scotland uk

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Attached a few images from a recent trip to the Orkney Islands. In particular, these were all taken on the Main Island - there are around 70 islands that make up the archipeligo!

Taken on the west coast at the Kitchener memorial, looking south towards the Island of Hoy.

rOrkney20.jpg

Taken on the rocky beach close to the Kitchener Memorial.

rOrkney26.jpg

Taken at the Bay of Skaill, where the neolithic village of Skara Brae can be found, just out of shot at the left hand side of the image

rOrkney62.jpg

Taken at the Bay of Skaill again, looking out into the North Atlantic ocean - next stop form here is likely to be Newfoundland!

rOrkney73.jpg

Another taken at the Bay of Skaill - some of that rough weather coming in from Newfoundland! This image is taken looking 90 degrees left of the previous image above (but on a different day).

rOrkney85.jpg

https://www.flickr.c...tos/7383374@N02

bani12

bani12

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLjubljana

Site Supporter

Very nice images, Ross! #2 and #3 are my favourites.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Completely off subject here, but when living in Scotland do you get to chose the UK flag or the Scottish flag? I was just wondering because you list your location as Scotland, but yet it shows the UK flag.  

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Great set. I have to agree with bani12 that 2 and 3 are my favorites.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Great pictures...really stunning coastal shots.

Nikonite

Not sure if your able to chose flags....As I live in Scotland and it also shows the Union Flag for me too....not that i'm too bothered.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Excellent set.  I have to agree that #2,#3 are my favorites as well.

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Nikonite, as Rob says, I don't think individual UK regional flags (England, Scotland, Wales & N. Ireland) were an option and it was simply covered by the Union Jack. Like Rob, I have no issue with that however, as you may be aware, there was the referendum last year where Scots voted to either remain part of the UK or to move to be an independant country. The vote obviously was in favour of remaining within the UK and even now 1 year on there is still a lot of emmotive feelings amongst many people both for and against independance. There are still many people who are not talking to each other because of their different political opinions on the referendum vote; it really did drive a wedge between people which has not yet fully healed. No matter what happens in the future, I cannot ever see it being a unified decision either way so there is always going to be a rift in the short to medium term.

Anyway, politics is for other web pages, this is all about photography here :-)

Thanks for the comments; I would be interested to know why shot 2 is among the favorites; reason for asking is because it has not grabbed much attention on other web pages. Personnally, I do think it needed something else in the image, another focal point like a suitably positioned person in a red jacket standing on the grassy area on the righ-hand third, however, there was no-one around at the time to ask to model for me!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

My personal favourite is #4, but I can see the qualities in #2 and #3 with the leading lines pointing only to a shift in the cloudscape. Very soothing and would probably be an easier sell at a gallery than the visual "tension" in the other three.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I'm with you on that Peter, the smooth lines of number 4 are really pleasing to the eye, I can imagine this blown up to hang on the wall. A lovely set though all great pictures.

What were you shooting with, Body, Lens/lenses?

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland
Rob,

All shots taken in my D610.

Shots 1 to 4 with 17-55 f2.8 DX lens and shot 5 with 70-200 f2.8 VR lens.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Thanks for the update!

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Thanks for the comments; I would be interested to know why shot 2 is among the favorites; reason for asking is because it has not grabbed much attention on other web pages. Personnally, I do think it needed something else in the image, another focal point like a suitably positioned person in a red jacket standing on the grassy area on the righ-hand third, however, there was no-one around at the time to ask to model for me!

I like 2 because it seems very well composed to me, and I like the texture/lines of the rock formations.   It is just an interesting picture to me, and I like the composition.  (But I like the whole set). 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

#4 is definitely beautiful as Merco said - rather stunning!  #5 is nice as well - are those sheep on the cliff?  I think the symmetry of the line of clouds and the line of the cliff with the sun highlighting between the two just work for me in #2, making it my favorite.  Regardless, it is a nice set of images!

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

Thanks all.

Yes, sheep on the cliff! Well spotted.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

A beautiful set of images. I love'm all!

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: island, seascape, orkney, scotland, uk