Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D610

nikon d610 fx

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

This topic is focused on Nikons upcoming prosumer D610

Has anyone seen any images by the upcoming D610 appear anywhere on the web yet?

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

No, but I don't expect it to look much different.  The major improvement seems to be a shutter and mirror assembly that doesn't smear dust and oil all over the sensor.  

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

Nikon Rumors predicts that the D610 will be announced on Oct 7. They are usually pretty accurate with their prediction. Cant wait for the news. I hope though that they are wrong in their prediction that the only improvement is a new shutter mechanism less prone to spraying oil/ debris on the sensor. I am especially hopeful for an upgraded autofocus with more points like the D7100.

Here is the Nikonrumors link:

Nikon D610 announcement in 48 hours - Nikon Rumors

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

IF it has upgraded AF along with its slightly improved fps, I could be tempted instead of a 2nd hand D700.

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

i would consider it if it has faster flash sync speed (1/250) and a faster shutter speed (1/8000).  it actually has less capability than the D7000, it just has a better sensor.

Nikon is really starting to make me question whether I should continue buying Nikon.  they build a SB-900 that overheats like an egg on the asphalt in Texas then they replace it with a SB910 and don't offer the SB-900 users a path to upgrade without buying a full new one.  Then they build a D600 that apparently has oil and dust issues and instead of doing a recall they just screw over the owners of that model and replace it with the rumored D610.  The resale value of the D600 will be crap just like the SB-900.  I really hope they stop this business.

DanWeso

DanWeso

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York

It seems a lot of companies have had qc issues the last few years. My Fuji X10 got replaced do to sensor issues. I doubt Nikon will do anything for us D600 owners though.

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

This topic is focused on Nikons upcoming prosumer D610

Has anyone seen any images by the upcoming D610 appear anywhere on the web yet?

It will likely use the same sensor as the D600 FWIW.

twilight_samurai

twilight_samurai

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationToronto, ON, Canada

i would consider it if it has faster flash sync speed (1/250) and a faster shutter speed (1/8000).  it actually has less capability than the D7000, it just has a better sensor.

Nikon is really starting to make me question whether I should continue buying Nikon.  they build a SB-900 that overheats like an egg on the asphalt in Texas then they replace it with a SB910 and don't offer the SB-900 users a path to upgrade without buying a full new one.  Then they build a D600 that apparently has oil and dust issues and instead of doing a recall they just screw over the owners of that model and replace it with the rumored D610.  The resale value of the D600 will be crap just like the SB-900.  I really hope they stop this business.

Sorry to go off topic a little but you can turn off the hyperactive temperature warning in the SB900 (just go into the menu and look for the thermometer icon).. it'll do just fine with it off, even if you're really hammering the flash.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, so Nikonrumors was right. No upgraded AF. Still a great camera, provided the sensor dust/ oil issue has been fixed and no other QC issues crop up. 

The real question now is this: Has the sensor dust/ oil issue in the D600 branded camera been sufficiently addressed in the current D600 production batches that it is safe to pick up a D600 at a reduced price?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The real question now is this: Has the sensor dust/ oil issue in the D600 branded camera been sufficiently addressed in the current D600 production batches that it is safe to pick up a D600 at a reduced price?

That would be good to know...

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

Sorry to go off topic a little but you can turn off the hyperactive temperature warning in the SB900 (just go into the menu and look for the thermometer icon).. it'll do just fine with it off, even if you're really hammering the flash.

Don't you run risk of overheating and destroying the flash that way.  On the 910 they don't power it off they just force it to recycle slower.  not sure if they made any other improvements to the cooling or not.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Ok, so Nikonrumors was right. No upgraded AF. Still a great camera, provided the sensor dust/ oil issue has been fixed and no other QC issues crop up. 

It only takes 5 minutes to clean a sensor.  It's safe enough if the reduced price is worth the trouble to you.  Mine hasn't had any issues, so far.  My cousin has two, no issues.  If you get a bad one you might have to clean your sensor as many as 5 times before the problem goes away.  The swabs aren't cheap, but it's better than sending it back to Nikon for 6 weeks.  Nikon should, at the minimum, pay to have the sensors cleaned at a local shop.  They really dropped the ball on customer service.  Releasing the D610 is a slap in the face, but it seems to be how they do things.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

May I ask for additional input from current D600 owners: What was your experience with sensor dust/oil spots? Did you have any? Were you able to clean it yourself? Did it recur after cleaning?

DanWeso

DanWeso

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew York
I’ve had to wet clean my sensor. Once as a reference point to when I started reading about the issue and once because it did have spots on the sensor which a blower would not remove. I’m still under 5K clicks on the shutter, but to date the D600 has been a great image producing camera for me. Mine also has a very low serial number. Could be one of the first batch to be sold.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks fo

I’ve had to wet clean my sensor. Once as a reference point to when I started reading about the issue and once because it did have spots on the sensor which a blower would not remove. I’m still under 5K clicks on the shutter, but to date the D600 has been a great image producing camera for me. Mine also has a very low serial number. Could be one of the first batch to be sold.

Thanks for this input DanWeso.

Another question that I would like to get D600 owners input on: How is the focusing system working for you? I was a little disappointed that the focusing system was not updated in the D610. Is the narrow clustering of the focus points in the middle of the view-field/ sensor a problem or is it a non issue in your experience?

B Grace

B Grace

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 40 posts
  • Country Flag

May I ask for additional input from current D600 owners: What was your experience with sensor dust/oil spots? Did you have any? Were you able to clean it yourself? Did it recur after cleaning?

When the D600 was announced I decided it was the correct camera for me when I would be ready to upgrade.  I learned of the sensor spot problem in November and more or less confirmed the issue with my camera shop Nikon guru in December.  When D600 owners began posting comments on Nikon forums in January of repair tickets in the US mentioning shutter assembly replacements in combination with sensor cover cleanings I figured the tolerance problem had been resolved by the supplier (Nikon doesn't make the shutters).  I bought my D600 in late April and I'm now at 1700 shots with zero problems, and I do know what to look for.  If I encounter problems I'll address them just as I would with any other product I've purchased.

From what I've seen Nikon is honoring its commitments as spelled out in the D600 warranty (I've reread my warranty several times).  If a person politely works with his/her dealer in resolving problems good results should be expected.  I wouldn't buy a used D600 due to the lack of a warranty and I'm certain that's the driving factor for low used prices.  I did test a D800 and was ready to spend the extra money but it's just more camera than I need and I do tend to carry my camera bag for hours at a time.  My D600 + 16-85 DX VR (best zoom I've used but I do have an FX short zoom budgeted for 2014) + 70-300 VR kit plus a few necessities is 5.2 lbs.

Yes, I do see huge improvements in image quality with my D600 in crop mode with my 16-85 over the same lens with my D40x.

Thanks fo

Another question that I would like to get D600 owners input on: How is the focusing system working for you? I was a little disappointed that the focusing system was not updated in the D610. Is the narrow clustering of the focus points in the middle of the view-field/ sensor a problem or is it a non issue in your experience?

I'm adapting to the narrow arrangement of small points but I'd prefer a different layout.  I like shooting with specific focus points and it's not as easy to do with the D600 as it has been with other Nikon cameras in the past.  It's very common for my intended focus point for my shots to be beyond foreground objects so I have to keep my eye on things as I go (the system works great when it works and it doesn't when it doesn't, if that makes sense) or I have to pick and then use the tiny focus points.

Kenafein

Kenafein

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 425 posts
  • Country Flag

Thanks fo

I would prefer a more widespread layout, but I think it's good enough for everything but sports/fast action.  You are likely to crop bird shots anyways, unless you're a ninja.  Focus and recompose, if necessary, is good enough for the rest.  The side points are almost within the range of the rule of 3rds.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

I think the D610 would be one of the best cameras Nikon ever made if it had a better focusing system. Higher max shutter speed, USB3 would also be nice additions to make it on par with other contemporary offerings. It probably would not have added much to the manufacturing cost. I just have the feeling it was intentionally derated, courtesy of Nikon's marketing department in order not to outshine the D800. Don't get me wrong. It is still a great camera. It just could be so much better with a little few modifications. It probably would sell so much better, even at a slightly higher price. I would consider the D800. It is just that I think that the 36 MP is so much of an overkill and a drag on computer resources. 

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

Yeah a D700 style camera with a 24 MP sensor would be ideal.

nikonfan1999

nikonfan1999

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Country Flag

Yeah a D700 style camera with a 24 MP sensor would be ideal.

Thank you. Exactly my point!! Less pixels. larger pixel pitch. Better low light performance and dynamic range. Less unnecessary drag on computer resources. You do not need the 36 MP anyway. No reasonably priced lens can resolve at this resolution anyway. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nikon, d610, fx