Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7200 - no autofocus in any mode

d7200 autofocus af

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

poisonborz

poisonborz

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I received my kit a few days ago, and after fumbling around with it, I recognized I can't get it to autofocus. Not only does it no AF but the AF sleect button on the side is also not working.

• Flip above the backside dial is not on Locked position
  • Focus switch is on AF (both on body and lens)
  • When half-pressing the shutter / pressing AF-On (bound to AE-L) a single focus point is visible, red led lights up in the viewfinder but that's all, shots remain unfocused.
  • I've tried to take on-off the lens several times. Both with a fixed 35mm Nikkor, and a 55-300mm Nikkor. The latter has VR that is clicking while half-pressing the shutter - so the body does communicate with the lens I suppose.
  • Below are my settings. Battery is charged well and obviously the camera is on. I've tried to reset any user settings (there's no actual factory reset on the D7200)

As I said, AF mode button does nothing, in any mode. Focus-related settings as shown in the manual are not present, it's as if AF would be disabled somehow - as if the camera wouldn't think it can control lens focus, thus has this disabled. Is there something I could try before returning it?

CaHQYMK.jpg

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Try putting the camera in P mode and see if you can get the AF menu then.  The AF menu might be restricted in Auto mode.

Also, did you try using the AF on button instead of the half-press?

If neither of these word I'd get an exchange.

• Ron likes this

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

AE-L/AF-L set to AF-On should indicate that you have the AF button set for the focus...try pressing that button to see if it focuses with that button...

It is changeable in the menus to put the focus back to the shutter release.  I know lots of folks who shoot with "back button" focus...for many years I didn't but switched a few years ago.  It took awhile to get used to it but I don't think I'd change back...

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Yeah, that was my first thought. Someone has changed the settings for AF to the AE-L/AF-L button. As Sportz said, It's easy enough to check. However, if this is a new camera it should not have been set that way from the factory. The default is for the shutter release button to control both AE and AF.

I also agree about back button AF. It took some getting used to but now I'd never go back! I only wish that Nikon had put AF-ON buttons on all of their pro-sumer cameras.

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Ron - I wish they'd put it on my Nikon 1!  I find myself missing it!

As someone said when I was looking into it...Once you go back, you'll never go back!

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Ron - I wish they'd put it on my Nikon 1!  I find myself missing it!

As someone said when I was looking into it...Once you go back, you'll never go back!

Seriously LOLing here.

--Ron

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d7200, autofocus, af