Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon1 J5 'Cannot Display Image'

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

steverowe67

steverowe67

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a Nikon1 J5 which has decided to only display the first 40 or so images I have taken Andy shows the message Cannot Display Images. I am shooting in RAW and in Apperture Priority. I have not changed any of the settings since taking the first shot. I have taken 197 images but the playback will only show 42 of them and then displays the message.
Has anyone else had this issue or got any advice for me please. (Those who would like to respond with " should have bought a Canon" etc need not reply!
Many thanks. Steve

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I would start by trying a different memory card to see if that's what's causing the problem.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Are the files there when you import the contents of the card to the computer? Is your card formatted in camera or just the factory pre-format or formatted in a reader in the computer? Try another card or reformat with another file system before formatting in the camera. 

I don't think you will get many responses about getting a Canon instead on this site, this is NikonForums after all.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I agree with the recommendations you've gotten.  Try and dump the images to your computer and see how many there are.  

Another thought, I'm guessing that you are saying 197 based on the file name?  If you have already dumped some images and formatted the card and you are now only seeing 40+, that sounds like normal activity.  Unless you reset the frame counter, the file name will continue to show something like DSC_0197.NEF and continue to increase through 9999 before going back to 0001 even if you've dumped the images and re-formatted the card.

Hope that helps...

weebee

weebee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

I just tried my new J5 this morning and was having the exact same thing. Download the current Nikon NX2 software from the Nikon site and open a picture with that.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
I have a J5, too, but never had this problem.

However what I experienced is that the "older" NX2 software is not able to read the RAW files produced by the J5 - for reading these you need to use either the more recent ViewNXi, or other third party software (f.i. a recent version of DxO) that supports the RAW fileformat produced by the J5.

With this in mind, could it be that the OP is shooting RAW+JPG, but could only visualize the JPG files?

weebee

weebee

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a J5, too, but never had this problem.

However what I experienced is that the "older" NX2 software is not able to read the RAW files produced by the J5 - for reading these you need to use either the more recent ViewNXi, or other third party software (f.i. a recent version of DxO) that supports the RAW fileformat produced by the J5.

With this in mind, could it be that the OP is shooting RAW+JPG, but could only visualize the JPG files?

Yup, same here as well. And two of my programs don't have an update to correct this.