Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

D7100 + 35mm 1.8 DX. Focusing problems - Fine tunning does not work.

d7100 focus issues focus fine tuning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

guillermo_arp

guillermo_arp

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

The problem is that the camera plus the 35mm Lens are not focusing properly, by that I mean that is focusing just tad in front of my subject.

Conditions of my tests

- D7100 + 35 1.8mm both bought new.

- Target at 3 feet (1 meter) away from the lens, high contrast lines at a 45°

- On a tripod, tripod did not move. 

- Lens at 1.8 for shallow DOF

- Autofocus set to AF-S, center point, on a timer to avoid motion blur (Speed was somewhere  1/320 but just to be sure).

Tests:

1. Focus fine tune set to OFF.

1.1 After 5 shots I noticed that the camera was focusing somewhere around 1 cm too close (0.3" inches).

2. Focus fine tune set to ON

2.2  +5... no changes

2.3  +10 no changes

2.4  +20 it gets a little bit better.

2.5 - 5 it changes a lot  for the worst, it focuses even more closely than before.

2.6 -20 WORST, it's focusing way way closer. 

2.7 Just for the kicks I change the default value to - 17 and it gets better. Still not spot on, but better. So it gets: Default value -17 and Saved value +20 and focus is ALMOST perfect. 

So I wonder, why can't I move the focus point forward (Away from the camera)?

I also noticed after a few more shots lowering the F value that the focus point actually moves away. At F/8 focus looks perfect given the increased DOF, but it is actually about half an inch off away from the lens.

Another thing, I don't know if related but, when Selecting AF-A - AUTO, the camera has a tendency to "prefer" the left sensors on normal basis.. But for example if I shoot a blank wall with detail on the RIGHT it has no problem selecting the RIGHT sensors.

I'll appreciate any help I can get. I'm going PRO, can't afford new equipment at the moment and it's a real pain to take portraits out of focus.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Could you post one of your test shots? It is much easier to help if we see what you do.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

For what it's worth I have that exact setup. The D7100 and 35mm 1.8 I mean. No problems here.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: d7100, focus issues, focus fine tuning