Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Photographic Magazines

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationArbroath, Scotland.

Site Supporter

Hi, just wondering what Photo mags members buy/subscribe to.  There are just so many to chose from that you end up wanting bits or articles out of loads of different ones.  Having trawled through quite a few i myself have settled on getting N-Photo every month.  I honestly just cannot fault it as a mag and as it dedicates itself to Nikon it has been a huge help with its tutorials and reviews.

So, who else reads what?

Ian.

leCabri

leCabri

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationQuebec city, Canada

Site Supporter

Great topic idea ;)

I mostly consult internet and blogs.

There's in a magazine that I subscribe to. Just because it's produce here in Quebec city. It's called "photo solution" and yes, it is in french...

Other way, I keep all the magazines that have published my pictures... But they always send free copies :D

M.

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Yep, French aint gonna do it for me, sorry.  Being Scottish some would say i even struggle with English  :lol:

Looks like quite a nice mag though, even if i can't read it.

Ian.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

f11 - free

http://www.f11magazine.com/site/

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Nice share, some great images and articles.  Cheers.

Ian.

Rontography

Rontography

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts
  • Country Flag

Well how about an answer to this? My youngest is having a fundraiser at school selling magazines. My choices are Popular Photography or Shutterbug. Anybody think one is better than the other? And yes I have to choose one.

ansel95

ansel95

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Country Flag

I subscribe to both.  if i had to choose I'd probably go with Popular Photography.

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

As far as photography magazines, British ones have always been the best. They have more info packed in one issue than a good 3-4 issues worth of a US magazine. They sort of rotate as to which ones are best, with all of them having ups and downs. Right now, Advanced Photographer, Practical Photography, and What Digital Camera are my top 3.

As far as the US mags, they are all vey bland and should not even be an option if you have access to the British ones. Shutterbug wins easily over Popular Photography, one of the most boring mags in the history of photography. I'm lucky if I've purchased 2 issues in the last 10 years. I find more interesting articles in Shutterbug.

N-Photo is very good, but sadly, barely any newstands carry it, so you have to get the e-version.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

i never really view them myself as the internet covers everything i need as i feel blogs, sites and youtube etc give a good outlook and most manufacturers have good detailed pages also with so many web based review sites its a great outlet for all our needs

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

i never really view them myself as the internet covers everything i need as i feel blogs, sites and youtube etc give a good outlook and most manufacturers have good detailed pages also with so many web based review sites its a great outlet for all our needs

Difference in professional vs. amateur. Most blogs, web reviews, forum reviews, and especially youtube, are written by amateurs. Most of the British magazines I read have technical experts, writers, and editors who've been in the business of writing articles and reviewing photography gear for 20-30 years. Big difference in my opinion. It's like the difference in getting your sports from ESPN or sports blogs. One will suffice, but definitely not as good as the other. My first choice would always be the paid professionals.

Mark Win

Mark Win

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNorthern Ireland / UK / Ireland / Europe

Site Supporter

good point k-9 i suppose its all what the user is wanting to gain knowledge on

Davem45

Davem45

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationStoke on Trent

Difference in professional vs. amateur. Most blogs, web reviews, forum reviews, and especially youtube, are written by amateurs. Most of the British magazines I read have technical experts, writers, and editors who've been in the business of writing articles and reviewing photography gear for 20-30 years. Big difference in my opinion. It's like the difference in getting your sports from ESPN or sports blogs. One will suffice, but definitely not as good as the other. My first choice would always be the paid professionals.

Depends where you look on the internet There are good and bad everywhere. Some magazines are biased to one make or another as well same as to much information can just fry your mind

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

N-Photo is very good, but sadly, barely any newstands carry it, so you have to get the e-version.

Or you could subscribe and get it delivered to your door  ;)

greenwing

greenwing

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Yorkshire, UK

I like c't DigitalPhotography. Take a look & see for yourselves.

N-Photo is a good concept, but I find it quite basic and error prone as far as its Nikon content goes, and run of the mill for the rest of the magazine. But that's me, isn't it? :)

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I just like it because i only have Nikon and when trying other mags i found i was not interested in reviews of other cameras etc.  Plus i'm quite new to Nikon so i felt it helped me out a few times.  I'm quite a loyal creature, i don't want to read about Cannons behind my Nikons back  :)

It's like when i filmed weddings, it was Panasonic video cameras all the way, totally blinkered to other brands. I bet i missed out on loads of deals for other stuff. 

K-9

K-9

Jamie

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew England

Site Supporter

I've found that because none of the magazine titles are very consistent throughout the year, I never subscribe to any of them. I like going into the newsstand and browsing each title, then buying the one that has the most articles and info I'm interested in. One title can have a great issue one month, but then have a large amount of their book the following month on subjects you're not interested in.

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington
I like N-Photo too. I have bought paper versions and downloaded ones. Interestingly, I read the downloaded ones less because they somehow seem not as interesting (perhaps because I look at screens all day). This is despite the images looking great on screen.

I guess it's the same distinction as between books and e-books.

IanB

IanB

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I totally get that, i like magazines and books to be physical things.  I have tried Kindle's and it just doesn't feel like yer reading a book. And yes, it may also be because i work at a screen too much.

Ian.

scoobymax

scoobymax

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationDunstable, UK

Site Supporter

Totally agree, I think it depends on what you as the reader wants to learn or there is a particular review that grabs your attention. I may buy Advanced Photographer or what digital camera every now and then if the articles look worth a read. Any other time the internet is a huge source of information, and some of the tutorials are excellent if you search for them and most are free to view which is a huge bonus considering the price of these publications nowadays, some of them being £4 or £5 and upwards.

johnkennedy

johnkennedy

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPlanet Earth

F11 here also, great online resource, nicely put together with quality industry work.