Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking for a good 3rd Party Wide Angle

wide angle lens 7100

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I'm looking to expand my lens collection, just got myself a 7100, I have a 18-55mm, 50mm and a 70-300mm. I would like to get a good wide angle but something not too expensive.

Any suggestions?

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I just went through this myself and got the Sigma 10-20 f3.5. The Tokina 11-16 f2.8 was a serious contender but I opted for functionality over speed. The Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6 might be exactly what you're looking for. It's sharp, wide and inexpensive. The only one I'd steer away from is the Tamron 10-24. It seems that it is universally regarded as a very soft lens.

Hope this helps! 

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks, I'll check that out later. I was looking at the Tokina but like you say, I want a lot of functionality with this kind of lens.

cupic

cupic

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 27 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNSW Australia

You cant go wrong with either but the tokina in my opinion has the edge

cheers

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

Check out this review / comparison of the Tokina 11-16 vs. the Sigma 10-20: Tokina 11-16 vs Sigma 10-20 New Pics--LARGE!: Nikon SLR Lens Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

Basically the result are that the Sigma is just as sharp and has less CA then the Tokina with more functionality. 

Tokina was better at build quality (Tokinas are indeed built like tanks!) and at F2.8 between 11 and 16mm... everything else was pretty much a tie (+/-) or leaning towards the Sigma. That's what swayed my decision to get the Sigma. The f2.8 is handy indoors and for astrophotography, but only marginally over the Sigma's f3.5. 75% of the lens's use, for me, will be doing landscapes at f16 so the slight speed advantage didn't factor into the equation. The extra 1mm on the wide end and the extra 4mm long was more useful to me.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

I had a Samyang 8.5mm fisheye that was fun for a couple of months! Manual focus, but what does that matter with the dof you get at 8.5mm!

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Thanks for those pointers. My next lens I plan to get is a wide angle. The Sigma 10-20mm sounds like it just might be what I am looking for (I was considering the 12-24mm).

Thanks

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

Bugger. The 10-20mm is a DX lens. I guess the Sigma 12-24mm might be a better choice for me as it is an FX lens.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks for all the great posts, i just ordered the Sigma 10-20 f4-5.6.

rocknrumble

rocknrumble

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts
  • Country Flag

I've been looking at a few lenses myself. The Sigma 12-24mm (F4.5-5.6) seems to be the best choice for a Full Frame camera. The Nikkor equivalent is almost double the price. Samyang have an interesting looking 14mm (F2.8) lens but it seems to be manual focus only. Having difficulty deciding what would be best. There doesn't seem to be anything full frame that looks suitable from Tamron.

Long Exposure

Long Exposure

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Country Flag
  • Location26.82N, 80.06W

IMHO, the 12-24 Tokina is the way to go more versatile than the Tokina or Sigma mentioned above.

It is also an excellent video lens.

FTLOSM

FTLOSM

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

I was using search to find discussions on wide angle lenses and found this thread.

I wondered if anyone has tried the Sigma 8-16mm?  My wife sells homes and I have a Nikon D90 I have been looking for something to really allow her to get those open floorplan shots (without having to stitch 2 shots together).

I looked up that 10-20 sigma but if i go to the sigma 8-16 what are the pros or cons besides cost?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

I was using search to find discussions on wide angle lenses and found this thread.

I wondered if anyone has tried the Sigma 8-16mm?  My wife sells homes and I have a Nikon D90 I have been looking for something to really allow her to get those open floorplan shots (without having to stitch 2 shots together).

I looked up that 10-20 sigma but if i go to the sigma 8-16 what are the pros or cons besides cost?

A lot of people like the 8-16mm for its field of view: it's the widest you can get for DX.  Here are some user reviews:

Sigma DC HSM 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

It's fairly prone to flare, but that shouldn't be an issue indoors.  I would say that it's the perfect lens for real-estate photography.  The Sigma 10-20mm would work too, as would the Rokinon/Samyang 10mm F2.8, which is a bit sharper but doesn't zoom.

http://www.pentaxfor...99/bhphotovideo

Samyang 10mm F2.8 ED AS NCS CS Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I finally got my Sigma 10-20mm  F4-5.6 EX DC. it's a great lens, managed to get out and take some pics of the Forth rail Bridge with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• _DSC2728.jpg
  • _DSC2765 CF.jpg

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

On reflection, think I need to turn the fstop down a bit, I had it set all the way to f25, having it set to f13-15, would this give me a better depth of field?. 

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

You would get less DOF, but the photo would be sharper because of less diffraction.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wide angle, lens, 7100