Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

White Balancing Questions

white balance

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

sam1971

sam1971

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne.

Hi, I just recently picked up a Godox QS400 for my studio. Previously I was using just speedlights for all my off camera flash portraits. I soon realised that leaving my camera settings on  "Flash" white balance gave less than accurate colour rendition. I decided to do the PRE Preset manual white balance from a photograph of a white sheet of paper.

My question is this, do I have to make a manual white balance every time I move the strobe into a different positions or can I just leave it on the one preset photo taken?. Also what if I change the light modifier to a different softbox or increase/decrease the strobe power?

I'd appeciate any help you experts can give me.

Much thanks,

Sam

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

First, try to find a white melitta filter rather than stationery as a white balance target as most copier or printer papers aren't quite neutral.

If your Godox holds it's colour temp with reduced output, you won't need to change the w/b in a studio setting. The same goes for modifiers. If they are neutral they won't affect the colour, but cheap or old modifiers tend to give a slight yellow cast.

I tend to use auto w/b, but shoot a colorchecker passport when I have changed something significantly in the setup. W/b then takes place as a part of my postprocessing. The auto w/b is good enough for the histograms to be usable in camera with the low-contrast preset I use for my raw files. As I use Adobe software that discards everything but w/b of the Nikon settings in the Nef files, this makes things easy for me.

sam1971

sam1971

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne.

First, try to find a white melitta filter rather than stationery as a white balance target as most copier or printer papers aren't quite neutral.

If your Godox holds it's colour temp with reduced output, you won't need to change the w/b in a studio setting. The same goes for modifiers. If they are neutral they won't affect the colour, but cheap or old modifiers tend to give a slight yellow cast.

I tend to use auto w/b, but shoot a colorchecker passport when I have changed something significantly in the setup. W/b then takes place as a part of my postprocessing. The auto w/b is good enough for the histograms to be usable in camera with the low-contrast preset I use for my raw files. As I use Adobe software that discards everything but w/b of the Nikon settings in the Nef files, this makes things easy for me.

Hi Peter, Thanks for the reply. When you say try the Melitta filter do you mean those coffee filter thingies?. I'm a tea drinker so I'll have to go get some if thats the case.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Sam, yes I mean the coffee filters. A grey card is the best target, but a coffee filter works well and can be found in most parts of the world. Paper products for office use are nearly always coated with something to give better contrast when printed on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: white balance