Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New camera decisions. Advice welcomed.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

thescythe

thescythe

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag
I am trying to process which way to go with upgrading my camera. I am torn between 2 cameras. The D750 and D610. Of course the feature list is much higher on the 750. But the decision process is this. If I save some cash on the d750 by getting the 610. I can then get I higher a quality lens for the 610, than I could afford now. Or is is better to build of the higher base camera and then get lenses to suit from there as needed. For lenses, I want low f stop wide to zoom lens that's robust and versatile for portraits and panoramic shots. Any suggestions on which way to go and a combination that makes sense. Lol. I hate decision. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Jon .

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Always glass before bodies. Good lenses stay around much longer than a good body. If all you can afford for the D750 is the 24-85 and getting the D610 makes it possible to get a Tamron 24-70VC, it is a no-brainer. Neither is a perfect portrait lens, but f/2.8 instead of 4.5 at the tele end makes some isolation possible. This all hangs on how long the wait for better glass will be. The best way might be to just get good FX glass for now and get by with the body you have or a cheap used D600 or D700 until you find a refurb or open-box return D750.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,521 posts
  • Country Flag
I am using a D610 and am quite happy with that camerabody. When the D750 was launched, I did not feel the need to upgrade - however, should I have been looking at that moment for a new body, I would have opted for the D750.

Checking prices on BH, the D610 camerabody-only is sold for slightly under 1.500USD and the D750 for slightly below 1.900USD, making it a difference of 400USD (or a 27% extra).

You are mentioning that you are upgrading, so it would be good to know what the "starting point" is (both for the camera and the (Nikon) lenses you might have) to give you the best advice.

While I agree with Merco_61 on the "glass over camera" approach for the reasons he mentioned, I think there should be four factors to be taken into consideration, by you:
- existing equipment (lenses, do some fit on a Nikon FX body?)
- experience and expectations (why do you want to upgrade?)
- ressources (time needed to cover the extra 400USD if you go for the expensive camerabody)
- your aptitude towards not having the most recent gear

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Excellent advise above...Glass is more of a long term investment as Merco said.  As Jerry said, the items you have now and what can be sold or re-used are also critical.  Another important factor is what types of photography you plan to do...panoramas and portraits give an idea, but are you looking something to use when you travel or something you will be using more regularly?  You can also probably find both of those bodies used which might free up some additional funds for glass...Also, take a look at used glass...If you can give us additional info on what you like to shoot, we can probably give more detailed advice...

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Depends if you "need" the extra features of the D750.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,243 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

No doubt about it. The D750 is a better camera than the D610. That said, most of us rarely push our cameras to anywhere near their full capability. I decided on a D610 over the D750 solely on price and I'm not the least bit sorry. It's a great camera. Coupled with good glass it will give you outstanding images.

And, what everyone else has said is true. It's the lens! A great lens can make even a mediocre camera look good. The reverse is rarely the case.

--Ron

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
What are the big differences between the D750 and D610?

I borrowed a D750 a little while ago as a 2nd body for a wedding I shot. I can't imagine any features you would remove?

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,573 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Mainly auto focus and buffer size. The slightly higher DR the Expeed 4 signal processor gets at higher ISO values from what is basically the same sensor is a minor difference. There are differences when it comes to bracketing, both WB and exposure. The current draw is smaller if Wifi is off. All advantages for the D750 and the buffer size and AF are enough to make it worth the price difference if you shoot fast-paced in soft or low light. The D610 is a very capable body, it is just that the D750 is even better.