Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Custom paint job

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
This is pretty cool...

Photographer Gives His Nikon Gear a DIY "Desert Mirage Lizard" Paint Job | PetaPixel

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I admire the quality of the work, but to me looks hideous! It does give me an idea though. I photograph a lot of sports car races. Maybe I should stick sponsorship stickers all over my equipment like the race cars do? NAH!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nicely done...not my style, but I would be OK with it if he gave it to me as a gift...nice set of equipment with or without the paint!  It probably would help with the heat though...I know my gear has gotten pretty hot in the sun if I've stopped using it for awhile...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I am not sure that airbrushing paint that gets as hard as ceramics into the seals between body and top plate etc is a good idea, but it is a job well done for not disassembling for paint. The lenses have some seals that don't look to be masked either. It isn't my cup of tea but it might help a little in a hot climate. My bodies even have the Nikon logo on the prism taped over with black gaffer's tape as the white attracts the eye of the subjects when I try to be unobtrusive.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I agree, great quality to the work, but not for me.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I saw this awhile back and my take is pretty much what everyone else said. Nope, not for me. In fact, it seems like a terrible waste of perfectly good equipment. But, it was his dime so he has to live with it.

--Ron