Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 13 September 2015

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 13 September 2015, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

The editing exercise is about to start up again--if you're interested in participating, go sign up at the "roll call" thread that Peter has created.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

We have just acquired a dog, or has he acquired us?  We became a foster home to a Toller dog that had been rescued from the pound by Toller Recue Inc (TRI).  We have had Bailey Canuk for two weeks.

A Toller is a Nova Scotia Water Retriever, Toller for short.  He looks a lot like a short golden retriever.  The Tollers are the smallest of the retriever breed.

He is housebroken, loves long walks, pulling me most of the way.  He has made a great addition to our family but he needs a home that has more activity than from us, an old retired couple.  Hopefully these photos do Bailey justice.

Nikon D750, nikon 50mm lens

Attached Thumbnails

• bailey b-w-4.jpg
  • bailey b-w.jpg
  • bailey b-w-5.jpg
  • bailey b-w-7.jpg

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

On my way home today, I saw these waterspouts lit by coloured LEDs.

gallery_1251_413_7653.jpg

Body: D700

Lens: 85/1.8 AF-D

Aperture: f/3.5

Shutter: 1/500

ISO: 200

Profile: D2X Mode3

gallery_1251_413_126799.jpg

Body: D700

Lens: 85/1.8 AF-D

Aperture: f/3.5

Shutter: 1/2000

ISO: 200

Profile: D2X Mode3

I have played around some with the curves to get a darker background.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Again I am early with the photos this week!  Not sure what is wrong with me! :)

Yesterday was a pretty nice day here - especially considering it was a holiday!  My wife and I were sitting on our porch enjoying the weather when a butterfly decided to pay us a visit.  I grabbed my D4 and 70-200 lens and got several photos that I was quite happy with.  I think these are my two favorites...Both shot at ISO 400, f8 at 200mm...

Butterfly-1582.jpg

1/100

Butterfly-1602.jpg

1/160

I wish I'd had the 105 Micro, but that will have to wait a few more weeks...I just hope they decide to keep visiting!

Eventually we did get a little rain, but I lucked out and found a rainbow over the stables when we went out for a ride on the golf cart.  Nikon 1 V2, 10-30mm at 10mm (27mm equivalent), ISO 400, f11, 1/320

RainbowFirst-0487.jpg

So far I'm reasonably happy with the Nikon 1.  I've shot a variety of images with it so far and think I'll do a blog or add them to a review of the body at some point.  It is certainly small and light - easy to carry around when you aren't sure if you are going to need or want a camera.  It does seem to have a bit more grain than I am used to at the higher ISO levels, but I have been spoiled with that and it is easy enough to work with...

Lastly, I felt like the butterfly photos were screaming at me to run them through Topaz Impressions...

I did the first using Oil Paint IV as the starting point and the second using one of the Water Color options...

Butterfly-.jpg

Butterfly--2.jpg

Very nice shots Deano and Peter!  Dean - hope you find a great home for the pup!  I'm sure there is a family out there that will be the right fit...

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Not a new photo, but one I only just got around to processing. More as an excuse to try out my new Wacom Intuos Pro than anything else. Now I realise that I really need to learn how to dodge n burn effectively. I've processed a lot of my photos with a fair amount of fade recently so thought I would change that up. Wondering if I have crushed the blacks too hard?

21113517709_d45e809b2e_c.jpg

Ash by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

D810, Sigma Art 50mm f1.4 @ f4, ISO 64, 1/125s. One strobe camera right with a gridded beauty dish and another at the top of the stairs with a 2'x3' softbox.

edit: this image will punish you if you don't have a decent monitor. There will be no detail in the dark areas at all.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I had to throw in a three more this week...I can't say they are the best photos I've ever taken, but I think they are pretty decent based on the situation.  

During the evening, I decided to throw my 200-400 on my D4 and see if I could grab a photo of one of the hummingbirds that have been visiting our feeder.  I didn't want to get too close, so I ended up throwing my 1.4TC on as well.  It was lots of waiting for a few images.  Next time I plan to get closer - those things are TINY and move VERY fast!  

Hummingbird-1940.jpg

ISO 1600, 550mm, f5.6, 1/400

In the shots below, I looked out the window of our house, grabbed my gear that was still setup from the shot above, and was shooting within about 30 seconds - from inside my house...I really didn't have time for anything other than a quick meter check after a couple of frames (to be sure I got something).

There was little sun left...Even though I don't believe in "spray and pray", that was pretty much what I had to do with the hope of grabbing at least something while I had the chance.  I was only able to take a total of 5 frames before the deer in the shot below moved on...didn't get a good look at her again...it was rather dark...I would have preferred to bump the ISO and had to raise the exposure quite a bit in post, but time did not allow me to make any changes to the settings...I had dropped the shutter speed from above earlier...

Doe-1957.jpg

ISO 1600, 460mm, f5.6, 1/100

Shortly after we moved here when I was still going back and forth to Virginia, I saw a small red headed woodpecker (maybe 5 or 6 inches tall) on a tree in my neighbor's yard.  I hadn't seen any woodpeckers again until yesterday and we saw 2...both were around a foot tall.  Yesterday, we were meeting some friends in the evening.  While we were getting ready, I looked out our bedroom window and saw a flash of red...I immediately grabbed the setup I'd had the day before.  I grabbed a couple of images of it (through a screen) before it dropped low enough on the tree that I couldn't see it, not bad, but not what I wanted...that's when we saw the other...I grabbed a couple of that one before I looked back and the first had come up higher on the tree...I got off a few more frames of the first one (including the one below) before both of them flew away...

Woodpecker--2.jpg

ISO 1600, 550mm, f5.6, 1/125

So, have I mentioned how much I enjoy photography in this area?   :D  :D  :D   

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

It's been some time since I posted.   Vacation, brief hospital stay, started moving parents from their house after 60 years and catching up on work has kept me busy.  Here are a few pictures.

Vacation:

D5300, Nikkor 17-55mm 2/2.8

1/100s, f/2.8,ISO 1000

DSC_4894-1.jpg

D5300, Nikkor micro 40mm 2/2.8

1/500s, f/9,ISO 400

DSC_4732.jpg

Parents garage/my old bedroom,father's little work shop 

D5300, Nikkor 17-55mm 2/2.8

1/100s, f/2.8,ISO 1000

DSC_4996.jpg

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

Here is one from My Nikkor 24/2.8 mounted on my OLD istDL with adapter from a trip to a botanical garden this morning. I do not remember the settings. sorry. All hand held. I did crop off a little of the bottom of this first one.

21344272786_2f15420abb_c.jpg

And a couple with one Promaster 28-105/4-5.6

20749043093_27b45215e6_c.jpg

21378441001_6c56b2f37c_c.jpg

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington

gallery_1037_427_212129.jpgOut a

Out and about again this weekend on long walks with my wife and dogs.  Took the anew Nikkor 300mm f4 PF.  A pleasure to carry as it's so compact.

gallery_1037_427_155786.jpg

gallery_1037_427_220579.jpg

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
First a capture from an interesting evening sky :)

HygLylm.jpg
Nikon 1J5 10-30 PD Zoom lens 21.8mm f4.8 1/500@ISO160

and two night captures

First a long exposure
G6juR7v.jpg
D610 24-120/4 lens 28mm f10 25s@ISO100

xKF9vTJ.jpg
Nikon 1J5 10-30 PD Zoom lens 15.7mm f4.2 1/25@ISO6400

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

21206882948_f358ffe6a4_o.jpgLate Summer by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

End of Summer, time for late afternoon walks. 

1934 Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5, wide-open on the Leica M9. I converted this lens from Contax RF mount to Leica mount. The lens was like wax paper when received, required a complete teardown. Better than new, the Bloom on the optics is "amazing". Eighty-One year old lens, the "Great-Grand-Daddy of Fast optics".

I took the 1937 8.5cm F2 Sonnar out for the "Non-Portrait/ Portrait challenge". This lens is in Contax RF mount, I customized an adapter to RF couple it to the Leica. Strips of copper tape to "index" the cam to focus correctly.

21207785579_8df4646895_o.jpgGunston Hall by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

As this "portrait" does not fit in the challenge, will post it here. Straight export, will probably tweek contrast later.