Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Coolpix L830 unexplained behavior

l803 coolpix

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

GaiaGoddess

GaiaGoddess

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I have a Coolpix L830 and it's only about a year and a half old. It's always worked perfectly until 3 days ago. It was just sitting on my counter when it turned on by itself. However, it wasn't really on, the green light around the on button was just glowing, sometimes flickering. When I pressed it, nothing happened. The screen was black and the buttons didn't work. I put another set of new batteries in, same problem. This happened no matter how many times I tried new batteries, the green circle around the on button would flicker erratically, but pressing it did nothing. Plugging it into my laptop did nothing, holding down the on button did nothing. I have no memory card in it, if that matters.

The next day, it turned itself on again only this time it really was on, it was actually working. I plugged it in and transferred my pictures onto my laptop, and I'm glad I did because I was unable to turn the camera off after that! It stayed on and none of the buttons did anything, it was just stuck on, the screen was working but nothing else was, and I couldn't turn it off. But then a minute or two later, it shut itself off and I couldn't turn it back on. Now I noticed the green circle around the on button wasn't even lit up. So now it was completely useless. And that is how it remains today.

What could possibly be happening? I can't control it, it goes on and off when it wants to and more often than not won't turn on at all. I went to the Nikon website to try to schedule a repair but their links don't work, none of them do. I'm 2 states away from the nearest repair site. I really don't want to buy another one, but this is my only camera that takes good closeups of the moon, which is one of my main subjects.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: l803, coolpix