Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Flash?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

Lady Phoenux

Lady Phoenux

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUK Various locations
I saw a YouTube review on, I think, the d5300 and it said the standard built in flash isn't that good, which is the case with most cameras, and you should buy an additional flash.

He said that the quality of the flash is unimportant.

Would everyone agree with this and if not what flash would you recommend to a cash strapped beginner?

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

The main issue with the on-board flash is that it has a limited range and can easily create shadows.

However, it should suffice for casual applications, such as family photos.  If you want to get more involved with flash photography, I'd recommend an electronic flash with tilt and swivel support so you can always point it in the direction you want :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,588 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The pop-up flash gives harsh shadows as the light source is so small, it isn't very powerful and as it is close to the lens and on the same axis it tends to produce red-eye. It is possible to use it with acceptable results but a shoe-mount flash is far better. 

A Yongnuo flash unit seems to be the go-to unit among the cheap chinese flashes. Either the YN-560 for manual use if you want to be forced to really learn about flash and lighting or the YN-565 that supports the metering from your camera if you want more automation available. Nikon flashes like the SB-700 are built better but functionally there is little difference from the YN-565. They are, however, much more expensive.

Headstill

Headstill

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLowcountry SC

I agree with  Merco-61 

A Yongnuo flash unit seems to be the go-to unit among the cheap chinese flashes. Either the YN-560 for manual use if you want to be forced to really learn about flash and lighting or the YN-565 that supports the metering from your camera if you want more automation available. Nikon flashes like the SB-700 are built better but functionally there is little difference from the YN-565. They are, however, much more expensive.

FWIW, the flash on my D5200 was burned out when I got it, for the price to replace it I can get a Yongnuo that will be much more useful.

good luck!

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
I really like my photix Mitros flash. It's not as inexpensive as the yongnyo, but it's less than the nikon 910, just as powerful and is radio controlled vs ir so has better range.

ScottinPollock

ScottinPollock

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWest Slope Northern Sierra Nevada

I have three YN560's and the TX-560. This is one hell of a kit, with an interface that is quick and clear (better than nikon's).

As for manual or CLS/iTTL? you have to decide what you will use most. If you don't have time to set up/chimp, you'll get better results with auto... but if you do, better results with manual.