Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Shelby museum, Las Vegas, NV

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I'm a Ford man and drive a 2012 coyote powered Mustang GT. Therefore I could not miss the Shelby museum during my recent Las Vegas trip. The little blue Cobra is worth 54 million dollars. Chassis 0001.  

I'm a Ford man and drive a 2012 coyote powered Mustang GT. Therefore I could not miss the Shelby museum during my recent Las Vegas trip. The little blue Cobra is worth 54 million dollars. Chassis 0001.  

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_4476_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4480_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4481_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4484_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4486_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4487_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4496_DxO.jpg
  • DSC_4489_DxO.jpg

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Nice photos. Are all of those cars original Cobras... excepting the Ford GT and Mustang, of course?

I remember walking into a Ford dealer in Virginia... in 1966 I believe. They had two cars on the showroom floor. A white Shelby GT-350 fastback ($4700) and a dark blue 427 Cobra roadster ($6000). Of course I didn't have the scratch to even get a salesman to talk to me being a high school kid. But man, were they ever gorgeous!

--Ron

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Yes all originals and held some sort of motorsports victory. CS's racing record as an owner is remarkable! Beating Enzo Ferrari at Le Mans not once, but twice was probably the only time in Enzo's life he was embarrassed. A black 427 cobra has always been my dream car. Even with today's hyper cars I still prefer a cobra.

• Ron likes this

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I'm old enough to remember the Le Mans victories as well as Ford's earlier attempts. I remember one race where the top Ford GT wouldn't fire at the start. At that time they were still using the old "Le Mans" start where the drivers would sprint across the track on foot, jump in the cars, fire the engines, and take off. The Ford GT wouldn't fire for some reason... probably flooded. All the other cars got started and took off leaving the Ford GT behind. However, once the Ford GT fired, it took off and quickly caught up with all the other cars. By the end of either the first or second lap, it was in the lead. Amazing!

--Ron

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Yes and Carroll Shelby (a chicken farmer) was primarily responsible for the engineering on the Ford GT 40s as well as the Cobras. Of course heavily sponsored and powered by FoMoCo. Truly the golden age of sports car racing! I'm a big fan of sports car racing today and can't stand the diesels and hybrids. Bring back the real prototype 6 liter V12 jags, twin turbo Nissans and Porsches and 7 liter Corvettes!!! I mean really when the below space ship goes by and it smells like a diesel and makes very little sound the passion has gone completely out of sports car racing!

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0127.JPG