Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A D810 followed me home today

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
  • LocationAlberta, Canada
Do you think my D800 will get jealous?

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Congrats!  I'm sure you'll do your best to keep them both active and happy!

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,587 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Congratulations! I think you will find that the D800 is relegated to backup and second body duties real soon. The D810 is *that* much better even if the D800 is a very good body...

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Thanks.

I'm pretty excited. I originally bought a Fuji XT-1 and 56mm f1.2 lens as a good small portrait kit for when the D800 kit is too big to haul around, and was going to get their f2.8 tele portrait zoom as well for the upcoming WCFW Fashion Week in September. Smaller files, higher burst rate, deep buffer...but after thinking about it through a hot sleepless sweaty night (stupid heat wave with no A/C) I decided that it was a stupid decision and looked into the D810 instead. The DX 7fps rate with 15mp files is more than enough to do fashion week with, and I already got the lenses. And its not so much the fps as it is the buffer. Last three of the last five fashion runways I've shot I ended up using my Pentax K3 because I was hitting the buffer limit on the D800. But the K3 and DA*50-135 autofocus speed is beyond poor in those conditions so I wanted other options.

I was originally going to wait for Pentax's answer to the 35mm format due this fall...but then again, I'd need to buy another set of expensive lenses and carry two identical kits of lenses and bodies just to use it... doesn't make sense. My D800 has acted up regularly so a D810 just made the most sense, especially with the $500 rebate at The Camera Store right now.

So far, my initial findings are a little all over the map. I do not like the changes to the grip. I had to throw my battery grip on right away because the camera did not feel secure in my hands with the new grip design. It feels deeper, but skinnier. The skinny part is what I don't like. The original D800 grip fits my hand perfectly.

The new OLED display in view finder is a massive improvement, not to mention the view finder in general seems clearer. But maybe thats because my D800 is almost 2 years old now.

The AF grouping seems like something I'll use a lot. I'm curious how the face/eye detect will work out in the real world, or if I will want to stay with selective point.

Really liking the new highlight weighted metering. I wonder how well it will work with TTL...

I haven't actually shot with it beyond a few test shots of shooting lego figures on my desk. but I got a shoot on Thursday with a new model that should be fun

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,255 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

Congratulations! Break a leg.... or whatever! ;)

--Ron

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I think I need to go to Alberta to see if a Nikon will follow me home...I promise to leave a trail of cards and batteries to encourage it :)

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

I think I need to go to Alberta to see if a Nikon will follow me home...I promise to leave a trail of cards and batteries to encourage it :)

Alberta advantage my friend :)

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

I was going to say the same thing. Was wondering what trail of crumbs I could leave to entice a D810 to follow me home... hah. Congrats, Wired--hope you love it!

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Tomorrow will be the first test of it's photographic prowess.

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Tomorrow will be the first test of it's photographic prowess.

Please share some of your photos from the fashion show. Congratulations on your new toy. Very jealous.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Please share some of your photos from the fashion show. Congratulations on your new toy. Very jealous.

Tomorrows just a shoot. fashion show is in September :)

BUT here are images from D800 from last season WCFW 2015 | Flickr

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
What focus settings are you using?

I was initially using 3D to lock focus point on a person/eye etc then recompose my shot. But I have had some concerns with focus accuracy with this method. This could be lens related though.

I moved back to selective point and had some more success. But I'm thinking I might try out the group focus setting and see how I go.

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

What focus settings are you using?

I was initially using 3D to lock focus point on a person/eye etc then recompose my shot. But I have had some concerns with focus accuracy with this method. This could be lens related though.

I moved back to selective point and had some more success. But I'm thinking I might try out the group focus setting and see how I go.

Selective point afsC has been my d800 setup for portraits. 3d for action
Oh af-on

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Wow that thing is sharp.... holy crap. I can cut things with how sharp this thing is.... of course I was using a Sigma Art 50mm f1.4 with it. 

Images have clarity slider brought down by -7 and no other post-process sharpening. I've done some smoothing as well, was shooting around f2.8 most of the time. These are really early edits.

20565121421_75789b0e74_c.jpgwandering woods- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

20370679058_ed86013c3e_c.jpgTri Space- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

19936066614_27fe0a349d_c.jpgorange small- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

20549781662_441b13e2a9_c.jpgenchantress- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

20370711870_89025af78c_c.jpgelements- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

Wired

Wired

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 170 posts

a few more, using the 70-200mm f2.8

20049388854_97f6c3698a_c.jpgjessica 3- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

Took down the clarity on this one by 7! then did a sharpening pass afterwards. no skin touch ups

20662722642_442498ccae_c.jpgjessica 2- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

did do quite a bit to this one

20017256284_155d779b73_c.jpgJessica by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

and that one got a pretty significant edit as well

20671922175_b03a3b1e99_c.jpgMaxine- by Luke Kowand, on Flickr

No skin edits on this one