Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Nikon D7000 Back Focus

back focus auto focus fine tune nikon d7000

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DoyleB

DoyleB

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Country Flag

Good Morning -

I had heard of the Nikon D7000 having issues with Auto Focus but for some reason held-off with doing a fine tune to the Auto Focus.  I believe I waited so long because a lot of experts out there said that the D7000 did not have an Auto Focus issue. 

Well, I am here to say that I finally did an Auto Focus fine tune with all of my lenses on my D7000 body and Oh My God...the focus is now tack sharp.  In my case all of my lenses were back focusing to 12 steps on the fine tune menu within the camera. 

This issue may have been brought forward before but I woul love to hear from others with regard to any auto focusing issues you may have experienced.  Let's hear your thoughts.

Doyle

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

None really - but good that you finally got around to doing it, and that it worked!

heki

heki

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Hello guys, 

i know this is a 3 years old post, but i was wondering what test did you use to get to the number 12? I am experiencing similar stuff. The images arent sharp. No mather how i shoot them (of hand, tripod, 1/200, flash, ...).

Regards,

HEki

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,635 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Here is what I use as a target. A home-made focusing target - Do-it-yourself (DIY) - NikonForums.com

brad10281

brad10281

• Forum Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMichigan

Heki,

I just picked up a used D7000 myself and went through this same process. I used this method: How to Quickly Test Your DSLR for Autofocus Issues

I used this to figure out distance: http://www.whibalhos.../ldt/index.html

I then used Camera Control Pro 2 and tethered to my PC for ease of reviewing the images. Unfortunately you can't set the AF Fine Tune setting through Camera Control Pro so I still had to go visit the camera to make those adjustments. It was really easy using this method. there's really no need for an angled ruler or anything, you can easily tell if you're out of focus just using the flat paper...although I did make something similar to what Peter posted.

I'm going to re-test this weekend to see if anything has changed or if I'm getting inconsistent results. One of my lenses (Nikkor 50mm f1.8) is set to -20 and it doesn't seem to be enough adjustment, but it's still under warranty so I may just send the lens in to see if it needs adjustment. I'm hoping I don't have to send the camera in, it'll completely negate the whole reason I bought this over the D7100...which was to save $150.

Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: back focus, auto focus fine tune, nikon d7000