Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Leica M9 and Nikkor lenses...

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

I made a "half-joke" before, that I use a third-party camera body with my Nikkor lenses. For film- I moved from Nikon SLR's to Nikon Rangefinders about 20 years ago. I've used fixed-lens Rangefinder cameras since 1969 and SLR's since 1970, age 11 and 12 respectively. I have and use both RF's and SLR's, like seeing out-of-the-frame for RF's, simple/positive-lock manual focus, and seeing through the viewfinder the moment that the picture is taken. SLR's- ultra-wide angle, longer telephoto, and micro-Nikkors.

With Digital- Nikon DSLR's The Df is as close to a classic SLR that I'm used to. Nikon is not going to do a Digital RF- so onto Leica. Nikon made most of their RF lenses in S-Mount, Contax Mount, and Leica mount. I have most lenses in all three mounts.

This vacation, I took the Leica M9 and 4 Nikkor lenses and the Nikon Df and 4 Nikkor lenses.

Today, it was the M9's turn. Most of these are with the Nikkor-PC 8.5cm F2. This type lens is the one that got the attention of David Douglas Duncan and the following tour of the Nikon factory. This lens was made ~1955 or so, which is as old as the Gulfarium in Ft Walton Beach, Florida. I've been going there since a kid, starting about 50 years ago. It has been refurbished, expanded, and extended to a rescue and breeding program in the last two decades or so.

Nikkor 8.5cm F2 at F5.6,

20064748995_3d1be6cb09_o.jpgGulfarium, Ft Walton, FL by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

20070107391_cfb727d526_o.jpgGulfarium, Ft Walton, FL by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

19878069989_9b3a2f46af_o.jpgGulfarium, Ft Walton, FL by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

19442090224_eb4e648d38_o.jpgGulfarium, Ft Walton, FL by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

This lens has a long throw for the focus, it helps with moving subjects when you want to track where they will be. Not all were in focus, but more than half of shots like this worked out.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

The Trainers rarely do this trick anymore- jumping through the Hoop. These days, the Dolphins seem to indicate what they feel like doing. Splashing the Trainers and Visitors seems to be the goal.

20067864135_4d3a7961c8_o.jpgGulfarium by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

20073228611_1c34c5af57_o.jpgGulfarium by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Above- The Nikkor 8.5cm f2 has been the most used lens so far,

The Nikkor 5cm F1.4 that I brought is circa 1952, even older than the Gulfarium.

19446877543_fd6bf2f500_o.jpgGulfarium by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

My wife loves the viewing ports of the tank, we've been coming here since 1984. Nikkor 5cm F1.4, at F2, on the Leica M9.