Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

generic batteries

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

alansond

alansond

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Country Flag

Has Nikon done something via camera software to prevent one from using 

generic  (non Nikon brand) batteries in Nikon cameras?  I do see generic batteries advertised as having been "decoded".  

Am a user of Nikon band batteries but maybe an extra (3rd or 4th) generic battery as a backup would be nice.

RossCumming

RossCumming

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationScotland

I use a generic battery as a back up to the Nikon one that came with my D610 and it works very well. It has a slightly higher capacity than the Nikon battery and as such it feels as if it slightly outlasts the Nikon battery. I can't remember the manufacturer (camera kit is not to hand). Definitely no complaints from me as it was less than £20 / $20.

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,262 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

It may have been a Watson if you bought from B&H. That's one of their 'house' brands. I have one  here still in the blister pack. The specs on the package are slightly higher than a Nikon EN-EL 15. I would use it except that it's the only non-Nikon battery I have and, since I usually use grips, I would need to mix Nikon and non-Nikon batteries. Something I'd prefer not to do. At some point I'll probably purchase a second Watson battery.

--Ron