Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 26 July 2015

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 26 July 2015, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

The editing exercise is taking a summer break, but everyone is welcome to jump into any of the past editing exercises or challenges.

morticiaskeeper

morticiaskeeper

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTewkesbury, Glos

My annual visit to the Royal International Air Tattoo at RAF Fairford

D40 ISO400 1/400 f11 Sigma 70-300 @ 220mm

Untitled | morticiaskeeper | Flickr

19734337420_3b69c455cb.jpg

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Nice capture morticiaskeeper

If you use the BBC code provided by Flickr (next to where you copied this address) your picture could show in your post

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I have two, slightly different, captures of the same fountain.

gallery_1251_413_185916.jpg

Body: D700

Lens: 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

Aperture: f/7.1

Shutter: 1/80

ISO: 200

Profile: D2X Mode3

gallery_1251_413_14705.jpg

Body: D700

Lens: 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR

Aperture: f/7.1

Shutter: 1/1250

ISO: 3200

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

I didn't take this photo this week but only now getting around to finalising these photos.... Probably will be better than this. This is just the first one I saw. I'm unsure on the processing style. Not sure this monochrome or colour?

19961276501_87a663d9a7_c.jpg

Ash by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

D810, Sigma Art 50mm, Jinbei DM3 strobe with softbox camera right

50mm, f1.4, 1/125, ISO 64 

edit: A colour version 

19774954180_5749bc93df_c.jpg

Ash by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
bvYlanG.jpg
D610 Nikkor 24-120/4 120mm f11 1/200@ISO200

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

My pix this week are actually from last weekend...haven't had a chance to do any processing of my 35/36 project pix this week and those are the only images I've shot!

There was some training / instruction on a cross-country course near the "neighborhood" stable and they asked me to come up and get some photos of the course.  It is quite different than the jumping in the ring as there are hills, water and various types of jumps including uphill, down hill and ditches in addition to more "normal" jumps.  All shot with my D4 and 200-400, ISO 400 and f4.  Shutter varied from 1/2000 to 1/8000.  Here's an example of one of the horses jumping during the training:

CrossCountryCourse-0316.jpg

1/2000

I was on a bridge in the middle of the course and saw a small bird land fairly close by.  I had a perfect spot for where the horses were working, so couldn't really move - got a couple of quick photos of the bird...

CrossCountryCourse-0634.jpg

1/2000

CrossCountryCourse-0648.jpg

1/2000

Back to a different horse on a different jump...

CrossCountryCourse-0695.jpg

1/2500

And lastly, a flock of geese that flew by while I was shooting...

CrossCountryCourse-0807.jpg

1/8000

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington

Rather foul weather here so editing recent photos rather than taking new ones.  So here's a misty dawn from two weeks ago:

D600

Nikkor 105 f2.8G lens

ISO 200

f13 @ 0.6sec

gallery_1037_427_17464.jpg

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

Calloway Gardens,

19837243068_5674fe1782_o.jpgGreat Blue, Calloway Gardens by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

20025378385_57753f49e4_o.jpgCalloway Gardens by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Nikkor-PC 8.5cm F2, Leica Mount, at F4 on the Leica M9.

So far- my most used lens on that camera this week.

I also brought the 5cm F1.4 for the Leica- an early one from ~1952.

19837391970_84b5e24da1_o.jpgCalloway Gardens by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

==============================

And Nikon Body-Nikon Lens:

19768317180_d117976f2e_o.jpgDSC_5173 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

And someone needs to keep an eye on me.

Nikkor 50/1.4 Ai, wide-open on the Nikon Df.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,649 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Another one from me, a trifle rushed and a little too high ISO but I still like it.

gallery_1251_413_41123.jpg

Body: D300

Lens: MicroNikkor 55/3.5 Ai

Aperture: f/3.5

Shutter: 1/60

ISO: 1250

Lighting is from a scrim in the window balanced with a white reflector under the camera. As the family wanted to eat, I didn't have time to set up the tripod to be able to lower the ISO and get a brighter reflector to lighten the shadows a little more as I would have liked to do.

The subject matter is Ã‡evapçiçi with a potato and broccoli gratin and tzatziki. A nice fusion of Greek, balkan and french flavours.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

This week my wife and I spent a few nights at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ.  This is an old Santa Fe Railroad hotel that has been remodeled into a boutique hotel.  It is fabulous with southwestern art and design.  It is located in Winslow, AZ, which is 40 miles from the Petrified Forest National Park that Nicole visited a few weeks ago.  All photos were taken with my D750, Sigma 24-105.

Attached Thumbnails

• garden setting, la posada.jpg
  • sunflower, la posada garden.jpg
  • purple flower, la posada garden.jpg

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I was  busy babysitting again this weekend. While I was doing the dishes I saw this sky out my kitchen window. I grabbed the D70 with the 105 on it and stepped out onto the deck to get this shot

19853783830_76f296a20f_c.jpg

D70 with 105/2.5 Ai

1/20 at 5.6, iso 400

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Fun photos from everyone this week!

I have lots of photos from my little girls birthday party, and I also do a formal portrait session with her each year on her birthday, which was today. But today I think I will post this portrait I made tonight of my father-in-law. It was for my latest Project 52 Pros assignment--the vision statement. The task is to craft a vision statement that describes what you do as you're photographing or how you see things. (Not sure how to be clear AND concise--maybe last year's blog entry about it would explain better.)

Last year's vision statement was nice ("I tell authentic and intimate stories"), and I kept part of it, but I decided to re-evaluate and redo it. Once we have a vision statement, the assignment is to then create an image that supports the vision statement.

My vision statement this year:

I seek character, nostalgia, and authenticity. (Yep, authenticity is still hanging around in my vision closet.)

And here's the image I made to support it:

20044821365_ecefc57d87_c.jpgFather-in-law by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

I left space on top left in order to place the statement on the image. Ah, what the heck--might as well show it with the statement:

Nicole-Fernley-assign-2.jpg

D600, Nikkor 24-70 2.8 at 50mm, f/4.0, 1/125, ISO 400. One speedlight with MagMod grid and MagSphere at left and behind subject, one speedlight inside a 28" softbox at right and in front of subject.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Great photos this week - Nicole, really like that portrait!

So Deano, I have to ask...see any flat bed Fords?   :D

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Great photos this week - Nicole, really like that portrait!

So Deano, I have to ask...see any flat bed Fords?   :D

Thanks! And I bet he did--the middle of town has a fun little "Standin' on the Corner" memorial, complete with a flat bed Ford. 

This week my wife and I spent a few nights at the La Posada Hotel in Winslow, AZ.  This is an old Santa Fe Railroad hotel that has been remodeled into a boutique hotel.  It is fabulous with southwestern art and design.  It is located in Winslow, AZ, which is 40 miles from the Petrified Forest National Park that Nicole visited a few weeks ago.  All photos were taken with my D750, Sigma 24-105.

deano, we drove by the La Posada--I had read a bit about it but couldn't quite justify staying in the area for another night. Wish we had at least stopped to have a look around--love your photos of it!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Last time I was in that area was before the song :)  but I have seen a few photos friends have posted on Facebook of the memorial...

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Yes, I took the obligatory tourist shot of the "standing on the corner" statue and Rt 66 graphic in the road on the same corner.  Nicole, you should have taken a tour of the hotel.  People are more than welcome to look at all the exhibits.  It is awesome, particularly all the work the owners did to restore it from ruin.  If you ever have the time, read about Mary Colter and Fred Harvey.  They are so instrumental in the "taming of the west" from a hotelier point of view.  She designed the tower at the Grand Canyon and designed and furnished the Harvey House at the Petrified Forest National Park on I-40.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

I recognize those names...I studied the old west quite a bit many years ago...