Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Your Best Photo, Week Ending 19 July 2015

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Sometime before midnight (whatever time zone you are in) this Sunday, 19 July 2015, post the best photo you have taken this week. Any subject, any style--just give us your best shot.

If you can, list your EXIF info and any special lighting setups you may have used.

The editing exercise is taking a summer break, but everyone is welcome to jump into any of the past editing exercises or challenges.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

We visited the San Jose Tumacacori Mission National Historic site last weekend.  The site is about 30 miles north of the Mexican border and is the oldest standing church in Arizona.  It was first commissioned by Father Kino, a Franciscan priest, and a major explorer to the early American southwest in1691.  At that time this area was part of Mexico.  Thanks to Mexican Revolution battles and Apache raids the church and surrounding area was abandoned two times.  There is also a museum on site.  The church is being renovated, which looks like it will take quite a few years.

nikon website-6.jpg nikon website-5.jpg nikon website-4.jpg nikon website-3.jpg nikon website-2.jpg nikon website.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

You got some great-looking shots, deano! What an interesting place...I've read about Father Kino, so it's kind of cool to see some of his work. I really like the framing in no. 2 and the lines in no. 4.

I'll have to add this to my list of places to visit. :)

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Think this might be the only shot this week. Took a visit to another graveyard in Glasgow during lunch today, this vault really stood out. Thought the B&W conversion looked better than the original colour.

D7100, F4, 1/10 sec, ISO-100, Sigma 10-20mm set at 10mm.

Attached Thumbnails

• Vault.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Very striking shot, Rob!!!

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

Thanks Nicole

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Two images for me this week...some sunset shots as we wondered the neighborhood with my D7000 and 18-135...

I'd been shooting some images of deer back in the woods and decided to leave the ISO alone and adjust with Aperture and Shutter...ISO was 1600...

It took quite a bit of post work to get this where I wanted it...or at least to get it to this point...not sure if I'm ready to stop playing with it...I wanted the foreground reasonably visible with more of a silhouette where the sun was coming through the trees.  The processing definitely brought out the noise so I ran it through Topaz DeNoise - definitely helped it even though you can still see some noise if you look too close...

14JulySunset-7655.jpg

31mm, f11, 1/1600

This one was later in a different location and I went for a silhouette when I shot it...I had seen a bird when I shot, but didn't think it was big enough to really show up, so I was quite pleased to see it well in the final image...

14JulySunset-7690.jpg

135mm, f16, 1/1250

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
A couple of captures from me this week.

CROZdOr.jpg
D5100 Sigma 10-20/3.5 10mm f8 1/250@ISO100

AjAfUIu.jpg
D610 Micro Nikkor 60/2.8 60mm f3.5 1/200@ISO100

swCyHFj.jpg
D610 Nikon 24-120/4 62mm f11 1/250@ISO200

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

A shot of my Thorens TD-316 record player.

gallery_1251_413_138151.jpg

Body: D300
Flash: hand-held snooted SB-910 10 cm camera left and 20 cm above the optical axis aimed at the record centre, CLS.
Lens: MicroNikkor 105/4 Ai'd
Aperture: f/22
Shutter: 1/5, flash sync on second curtain.
ISO: 200
Profile: D2X Mode3

The pick-up is an Ortofon OM-30 in a Thorens TP-21 tonearm. The record is the transparent vinyl edition of The Jimi Hendrix Experience Live at Winterland. I have to use the Thorens as my SME M2-12 arm in the Garrard 301 is off for recabling and new bushings.

nova85

nova85

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationNew Lenox, Illinois

Site Supporter

We had some really amazing skys this week in Illinois.

DSC_3970-1.jpg

D5300, Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8, ISO 500, f/2.8 ,1/80sec

DSC_3955-1.jpg

D5300, Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8,ISO 125, f/9,1/640sec

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

19786591706_f972445204_o.jpgG1005888 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

Nikkor 8.5cm F2, wide-open, Leica mount on the M Monochrom. ISO 10,000 at 1/90th.

19626167839_24814ff362_o.jpgG1005780 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

This skater swiveled as I took the shot-

The Nikkor 8.5cm again, 1/25th second, F2, ISO 10,000. It was very dark with just Disco Lights on.

The Nikkor 8.5cm F2 is the lens that got David Douglas Duncan's attention, but he ended up buying the Nikkor 5cm F1.5 and 13.5cm F4. Also superb.

I applied a Gamma curve to the two DNG files using my own software. No Sharpening or Noise reduction, straight exports to Jpeg using LR6.1.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

The tomatoes are ripening. I picked these this morning

19193888794_cf0dc4bea6_c.jpg

From our small garden.

19629841209_dee0ecf10e_c.jpg

Both taken  Hand held with the D70 and Nikkor 105/2.5 lens Tomatoes 1/60 and the garden 1/200 The rest is up for debate since I don't remember  the f sop nor the iso  I was usingj

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Patrick, you can check the ISO after the fact if you open the raw file with Nikon View, ViewNX, ViewNX2 or ViewNX-i. Nikon chose to hide the ISO info in the makernotes in the D70 and D100, so Adobe software don't read the information. 

Your tomatoes photo showcases the smooth transition between sharp an unsharp of the 105/2.5 beautifully. I really like it.

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

A photo shoot that has been a couple months in the waiting. I work shift work and the owner of the car works at the same place but the exact opposite days. So getting together either means one of us has to have a day off work. First time it was organised the model had to delay for family reasons. Then last time we had everything organised the weather was terrible. Finally we got there, not without hiccups though. The battery pack I use for my strobes wasn't completely charged and ran out mid shoot, so had to revert to speed lights and reflector.

19629619988_0236958ddc_c.jpg

Briana & Eleanor by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

19817655425_4343a13519_c.jpg

19195144794_91f400037c_c.jpg

Full set here.... Briana & Eleanor | Flickr

funny peculiar

funny peculiar

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationWellington

African Monarch butterfly handheld shot with Nikkor AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f2.8 lens.  ISO 800 @125th sec.  Depth of field likely too short at f3.5 aperture.

gallery_1037_427_9919.jpg

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,524 posts
  • Country Flag
Excellent captures this week.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 559 posts
  • Country Flag

I remember seeing an original Mustang Cobra 500 in the showroom ~1968. It was $3500, which -coincidentally- was as much as an "electronic" Calculator, A Wang 360 calculator was also $3500 in 1968. We did not buy the Cobra 500- got a Mustang with 200ci inline 6. In 1979 I started work where they still had the Wang 360's, just "retired" and I kept them. Transistors, Nixie Tubes, Core memory- about 30 circuit boards.

Great photographs this week.

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Yes, wonderful photos this week!!! Well done!

I've started another year of Project 52 Pros...first assignment: make a portrait of a stranger (one in which the person is aware and involved in the photograph--not a candid shot with a telephoto, ha ha!). We got a new neighbor across the street, so this is how I got to know him:

19641759789_686d5abaca_c.jpgP52: Richard and Turbo by Nicole Fernley, on Flickr

I thought it would be interesting (and maybe a little ironic) to use a William Coupon-style setup for his portrait. :)

D600, 85mm, f/9.0, 1/125, ISO 200, single speedlight with a Magsphere inside a 50-inch softbox to camera left. 

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I agree with Jerry, excellent photos this week.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Very nice pix this week by all!  

I got to shoot some more horse jumping yesterday...quite a bit of fun!  Also got a couple of leads on some additional competition sites where I might be able to do some additional paid work!  

I definitely need to pull out some of the bigger "guns" once our 36 challenge is over...I need to get something to get me closer to the deer around here other than just moving my feet!