Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Rugby League

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Slightly differnt from rugby union -

(click to make bigger)

Attached Thumbnails

• 150711-021-3.jpg
  • 150711-025-4.jpg
  • 150711-057-2.jpg
  • 150711-085-2.jpg
  • 150711-087-2.jpg
  • 150711-093-4.jpg
  • 150711-127-2.jpg
  • 150711-134-4.jpg
  • 150711-139-4.jpg

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Nice shots Russ!!!

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland

Great shots... Makes me think I should go out and try shooting sports some time.

And while on the subject....
11144454_10206653157224540_4938343131411

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Excellent shot Russ.  Some pretty big boys there.  All in the name of fun of course.

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Nice shots Russ!!!

Cheers.

Great shots... Makes me think I should go out and try shooting sports some time.

And while on the subject....
11144454_10206653157224540_4938343131411

Ha! Yeah I don't have a boat in that race, don't watch it either, it's on too late over here. Queenslander working with me though - quite happy!

Excellent shot Russ.  Some pretty big boys there.  All in the name of fun of course.

Yep big boys. You look at some of these and do wonder if they are in fact having fun!

Headstill

Headstill

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLowcountry SC

Great action shots Russ!! They really show the emotion of the event.

Is there a place i can see the specs on these shots? Mainly shutter speed, ISO, aperture.  I just got a d5200 and will be shooting some sports soon and trying to get a feel of where the camera needs to be. Thanks!

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Headstill:  wide open aperture, high shutter speed, deal with the ISO...that is pretty much the go to setting for any sport...

Russ:  A few weeks ago I found out our new town has an adult rugby team (ran into them in a pub - imagine that :) )!  Long story short, I'm going to be shooting their match on Saturday at their request.  First time shooting rugby, so it should be an excellent learning experience!  They are playing at a park around 10 minutes from home.  I'm hoping I'll see some youth sports there as well, so football on Friday, rugby and whatever on Saturday...

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA

Headstill: wide open aperture, high shutter speed, deal with the ISO...that is pretty much the go to setting for any sport...

Russ: A few weeks ago I found out our new town has an adult rugby team (ran into them in a pub - imagine that :) )! Long story short, I'm going to be shooting their match on Saturday at their request. First time shooting rugby, so it should be an excellent learning experience! They are playing at a park around 10 minutes from home. I'm hoping I'll see some youth sports there as well, so football on Friday, rugby and whatever on Saturday...

Yes! Yet another instance of drinking beer paying off...

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Let's hope they have some beer money left to buy pix! :)

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA
They'll probably pay you in beer

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

And I would be good with that!  At least for now and maybe as partial payment long term :)

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

And I would be good with that!  At least for now and maybe as partial payment long term :)

I charge people that want to buy photos, but the club I regularly shoot games of, I don't charge them if they want to use pics for somehing. They give me free beer too!

Great action shots Russ!! They really show the emotion of the event.

Is there a place i can see the specs on these shots? Mainly shutter speed, ISO, aperture.  I just got a d5200 and will be shooting some sports soon and trying to get a feel of where the camera needs to be. Thanks!

Yeah TBonz covered it - wide open aperture (so f2.8 in this case), fast shutter speed (at least 1/500 for this, pref higher), and auto-ISO to suit (set to what ever you can handle)

Headstill:  wide open aperture, high shutter speed, deal with the ISO...that is pretty much the go to setting for any sport...

Russ:  A few weeks ago I found out our new town has an adult rugby team (ran into them in a pub - imagine that :) )!  Long story short, I'm going to be shooting their match on Saturday at their request.  First time shooting rugby, so it should be an excellent learning experience!  They are playing at a park around 10 minutes from home.  I'm hoping I'll see some youth sports there as well, so football on Friday, rugby and whatever on Saturday...

Rugby Union I presume as opposed to Rugby League. You can either sit at one end all day, or you can follow them up and down the field. Not sure I can give any tips as you've done so much you'll quickly get a feel for it I'd say.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Russ,

Union or League I couldn't tell you...don't see either on their website...It will probably take a bit, but I'll figure it out I'm sure...I actually attended a game outside of London many, many... years ago and have watched it on TV, so I at least have a feel for what to expect.  I am quite sure I do not know the rules, but as long as I can get the flow of the game, I'm sure I'll get some useful images...that's pretty much how I started with lacrosse!  I am looking forward to it though!

Thanks!