Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Gifted a printer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMurfreesboro Tennessee

Site Supporter

I am not sure if this is the correct form or not . If not Mods please move it to the correct one. 

I just had a friend bring over a Cannon Pixma Pro 9000 mark II. Said that is was working when he last used it and that if I wanted it it was mine. He is (his wife)  house cleaning and he has the printer from his photo lab at his house( he down sized and moved to his house to save overhead). So he has no need for this one any longer. He also said that the photo paper for it  would be brought by later. 

Now the question. I assume I may need to clean the heads/ nozzles, and it takes a lot of ink cartridges. 8, I think. What would be the best way to clean the nozzles and is it a printer worth the investment in all the ink. He has been doing my printing for the last several years thru his business  and home. I believe some of my earlier prints are from this machine.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,589 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

As it is a dye printer, I would use 8 parts of the old formula Ajax or Windex window cleaner with ammonia and 2 parts Isopropyl alcohol rather than buying a commercial solution. Remove the print head assembly, put some drops of the solution on the surface of the print heads. Let it soak in for some minutes and remove the gunk by dabbing with a paper towel (don't wipe). Repeat until clean and finally wipe with straight Isopropyl alcohol on a paper towel along the long side of the heads. Let it dry completely before you assemble the printer again.

I used this method for years on dye printers from Canon and Epson before I got my pigment based Epson. The window cleaner is said to gum up pigment based inks, so I use 1 part ammonia, 9 parts distilled water and 3 parts Isopropyl alcohol these days.

The 9000 MkII is one of the most economical A3+ photo printers to run, so it is well worth refurbishing and using. Something like an Epson 3880 is cheaper to run per print but the printer itself is expensive and must be run at least a couple of prints per week to give good results. The Canons can usually stand idle for 2-3 weeks before they start to dry and give problems.

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks . I need to get it cleaned ,set up, and running now. I'll check into ink this evening

Patrick9

Patrick9

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 355 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Update. New ink has now been ordered. I am anxious to try it out.