Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

How about a Macro mini-challenge?

macro

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Everybody loves macro photography, right?

How about we post our best shots in this thread and see what kind of comments result.

Limit it to just a few shots, not dozens, or even just one if you want. 

I'll start with five of my favorites. 

DSC_5013-L.jpg

DSC_1685-L.jpg

021-L.jpg

DSC_1994-L.jpg

DSC_2607-2-L.jpg

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Here's another one.

DSC_1644-L.jpg

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
mG7rPmT.jpg

D610 Mikro Nikkor 60/2.8 60mm f3 1/100@ISO200

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

Here are some of my old favourites, ones I have gone to the trouble of printing and framing.

gallery_1251_552_137310.jpg

gallery_1251_552_58794.jpg

gallery_1251_552_111984.jpg

gallery_1251_552_26504.jpg

gallery_1251_552_85681.jpg

They are all made with the MicroNikkor 105/4 Ai'd on a D300 at ISO 200, except for the monochrome which is at 640 ISO. The detail of the model aeroplane is lit with a 250J softbox and two snooted 100J heads with reduced power, the others are available light with some scrims and reflectors.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Those are beautiful Peter! 

What are the two things, numbers 2 & 3 here? I have no idea.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Thanks, Alden!

The aluminium hammer with the M2 Delrin screw in photo 2 is part of the dethermalizer arrangement on a free flight rubber powered competition model aircraft. When the hammer is in the forward position, it holds the horizontal stabilizer in glide position and when it moves back it releases the trailing edge and this allows the stab. to flip up 45° and stop the plane from flying so that it comes down even if it is in a strong thermal. I used to make these in a slightly more refined form for sale in the late 80's, this is an early prototype.

The mounting hardware in it's final form looked like this.

gallery_1251_413_166249.jpg

Photo 3 is a parallel port on a motherboard from a vantage point above the board itself. The vertical metal parts are silver coated copper connections between the circuit board and the contact block. The screws in the background are #4 UNC if that gives an idea about scale. The photo is part of a series I made to illustrate the sculptural beauty of functional industrial design.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

55/2.8 Micro-Nikkor on the DCS200ir.

15923607578_fecc2d59e5_b.jpgBUTTER10 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

16085247036_00400bba6a_b.jpgdrops by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

16085246956_fdf6a1f63e_b.jpgpod1 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The advantage of having an Internal 80MByte SCSI drive for storage: when spinning it helped keep the camera steady for hand-held shots...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

Alden, I really like your jewellery shots. I think they are among the best I've seen from you, and I usually like your photos.

Jerry, that butterfly couldn't be better framed and I really liked your use of the plane of sharpness to isolate it.

Brian, is that the infrared Kodak back for the F801/N8008? You got some nice captures from it, I really like the second.

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

This is the very first Infrared camera in the DCS series. I called Kodak and asked them to make it. They called back a few weeks later and told me they would , Army Night Vision Labs asked for the same Mod- after I did. It was a funny phone call, "We spent YEARS making digital look closer to film, and YOU want us to undo it all!". 

After 20+ years, it still works. I've taken apart and cleaned it a few times, but all working. I had another DCS200c that died, bought an MF-20 data back and use with film. When someone announced "I see you still use Film" I can tell them "This camera USED to be digital, I converted it to use film".

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Alden, I really like your jewellery shots. I think they are among the best I've seen from you, and I usually like your photos.

Jerry, that butterfly couldn't be better framed and I really liked your use of the plane of sharpness to isolate it.

Brian, is that the infrared Kodak back for the F801/N8008? You got some nice captures from it, I really like the second.

Thanks Merco! That really means a lot to me. 

Here's another. 

DSC_0052%20%282%29-L.jpg

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
Macro of live insects has to be the hardest to do. Good job to those that mastered it. Peter, flying insects even harder. Lol

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Great idea Alden and very nice shots by everyone so far!  I will have to dig out some of my old stuff I guess!

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,529 posts
  • Country Flag
Another one (I have already shown here)

FROpXib.jpg

Sony A65V Sony Macro 100/2.8 100mm f8 1/1000@ISO100

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

Wow Jerry. Just WOW.

I find ants to be very hard to get good shots of... very tiny, and very fast moving. You almost need some kind of an artificial set up, like an "ant farm" to get good shots of them. This was one of about a hundred hand-held, on the bark of a Chinese Elm tree in my front yard, with a long 105mm macro lens. 

DSC_1243-L.jpg

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Impressive shots in here! Nice work, guys. I rarely shoot macro (I use my 105 for portraits more than anything, ha ha!), but maybe I'll have to give it a try.

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

DSC_5041-L.jpg

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

Here a few I shot with my Nikon 105 macro.  I will try some micros of cactus tomorrow.

Attached Thumbnails

• fence lizard.jpg
  • macro tele.jpg
  • macro butterfly.jpg

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag

DSC_5054-L.jpg

Brian

Brian

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  • Country Flag

Not a "Macro", but the Vivitar 135/2.3 Series 1 is the first Telephoto that I know of that used a floating element for close focus.

13928276503_58ffd687e8_o.jpgSpring in the Neighborhood by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

15033460304_8aa00c3977_o.jpgFall Colors, Vivitar 135/2.3 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

On the Df. I love this lens, set me back $60. Used to be on a Nikon F2Sb, is non-Ai. Now on the Df. I had the Nikkor 135/2 Ai, traded it- kept this one.

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,646 posts
  • Country Flag

Site Supporter

A little bump, just to get the thread to the top and visible. I hope some of our newer members have something to share.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: macro