Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New NF Nikon Giveaway

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Adam

Adam

Nikon Forums Staff

• Administrators
  • 1,335 posts
  • Country Flag

Hi guys,

It has been a while since we've done a giveaway, so I'd like to get another one rolling in the near future :)

I wanted to reach out to the community to ask:

• what item (reasonably priced) would you like to see given away?  I'm thinking along the lines of accessories/software/lenses
  • what style of giveaway would you enjoy- raffle, social media, photo contest, or blog contest?

Looking forward to your feedback!

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

Define reasonably priced! :)

I think a raffle would be the most fair and might also attract a few new faces (whether they stick around or not is another matter, of course). The first giveaway was quite fun--I don't know if you could do that again and offer more entries for certain actions, but I'd love to see something like that again. It was a great way to get folks involved on the forum.

As for prizes...hm. I'm not sure what reasonably priced means, but here are a few somewhat lower budget ideas (guessing cameras and lenses are not in budget):

An awesome camera bag
Good solid tripod legs (maybe a head too if it's not too pricey) Gitzo or Induro?
Wemberley gimbal head
Choice of class on CreativeLive.com
Maybe just a gift card to B&H ( though I know that's not convenient for international members)

Maybe some smaller items too, like the Think Tank Pixel Pocket Rocket (have one and love it)
Memory cards
Software, such as Topaz Impression or Portrait Pro

Just some thoughts...I already have most of these--just trying to think what others might enjoy. :)

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,634 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

I like the idea of a raffle, with more entries for the more active members. The last one was fun.

Prizes could be something like an Ezybox Speed-lite, perhaps a square filter system, a foldable scrim or a reflector with some bottle-tops. Another idea is a sensor cleaning kit.

Nicole's idea of a tripod is good too, Induro, Feisol or Benro are remarkably good for their price.

Jerry_

Jerry_

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,528 posts
  • Country Flag
Thanks Adam for offering this to the forum.

I like the idea of a raffle, too.

As regards the items it should be something that can serve either as new item, an upgrade or a backup, thus it would be usefull for any level of equipment that the winner(s) has and type of photography (s)he is doing.

In the range of items along what you mentioned, I could imagine:
- tripod,
- gimbal head,
- flash,
- memory cards

You also mentioned lenses, but there the prize range is quite large :), but maybe a Nikon 1?

Also, to be discussed, if there should be a single prize, or one "main prize" and a limited number of smaller prizes (f.i. Memory cards)

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Thank you Adam!  I think it is a great idea and like the idea of raffle with additional entries to both active contributors and those who financially contribute to the site.  You could even add additional entries for those entries (and placing) in photo contests during the run of the contest.

All the previous ideas for a prize or prizes are excellent and cover a good range...As noted the gift card idea from B&H might be difficult for the non-US folks.  In trying to come up with a few different items, possibly a choice of (for example) one of a few different types of bags (backpack, traditional, roller) or maybe a choice of one prime lens in a list if that doesn't go over budget - I suggest the choice in both since someone may already have a particular lens or may have a preference in bag style.  

nbanjogal

nbanjogal

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,094 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUT, USA

Site Supporter

You also mentioned lenses, but there the prize range is quite large :), but maybe a Nikon 1?

Also, to be discussed, if there should be a single prize, or one "main prize" and a limited number of smaller prizes (f.i. Memory cards)

Oooh yes! A Nikon 1 would be fun…

And I love the idea of one main prize accompanied by some smaller prizes--lots of winners that way! :)

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
B&H card is actually not so bad any more for us internationals. They have recently reduced their international shipping prices to quite reasonable amounts.

TeeJay

TeeJay

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Country Flag

A tripod from 3-Legged Thing.

A Petzval Lens from Lomography

Triggertrap for speed photography enthusiasts.

A raffle thru social media would be fun :)

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Nikon Df

:)

Ron

Ron

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,261 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationMagic City

I am enthused at the thought of another contest. Hopefully more people will stick around once it's over. This is really a very nice forum with a good core of friendly, knowledgeable users. It deserves, I think, more exposure. (no pun intended)

As to the make up of the contest, and the prizes. Well, I don't know. As Nicole indicated, a lot depends on how much you can spend. Maybe B&H cards in decreasing amounts from first to say, fifth. And, if you could work out some type of arrangement with B&H to help with international shipping for our foreign friends that would be cool.  That way the winners can pick the stuff they want or need.

However, if you decide to put up a Df, nevermind with I wrote above. :rolleyes:

--Ron

iNYONi

iNYONi

Rob

• Forum Member
  • 1,112 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationLivingston, Scotland

Site Supporter

I agree with the majority of asweres here and think a raffle would be a great way of engaging with new members and attracting new comers too.,

Prizes, I would like to see a split of US and International winners. I know it's always hard to get the balance right ion these things.

I would love to see another high end camera body give away....pricey though.

Tripod would be good. Online photography courses would be an excellent idea and anyone could take part. (Good shout Nicole).

Flash gun, Camera bag, all good. What about a Nikon Starters pack with all those goodies we all love and use, cleaning kit, memory, camera bag and such like...great for newbies and old hands alike.