Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Green Light of Death

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

alden

alden

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationHiding in the hallway

Anyone ever have this happen? It just happened with my D7100.

The green LED light on the back which indicates when you have inserted an SD card, or inserted a battery stays on permanently, and the camera has no power. 

I read about this online and did what was recommended, which was to remove the battery and the SD cards, then hold the on/off switch all the way over to the left (where the bulb icon is) then release it and let it snap back to off, reinsert the battery, and turn it on. It worked. I have no idea why, but it did, and now the camera is functioning normally. 

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I think I've encountered that before with one of my bodies though I couldn't tell you which body - possibly D7000 or D600 as I know it wasn't my D4.  I think I turned it off, pulled the cards and re-inserted them and the light went out...then turned on and it worked fine...

Merco_61

Merco_61

Nikonian

• Premium Member
  • 10,650 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationUppsala, Sweden

Site Supporter

The idea behind going to the LCD backlight position is to get a high drain to empty the condensers with the battery out to reset the communication bus for the memory card. This usually works, just like you found out, alden

Russ

Russ

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 873 posts
  • Country Flag

Never heard of that problem or the solution - good to know.

Peterm353

Peterm353

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

I have had two green light events on my D7100. Although I did not "solve" the issue with many changes of card, battery or lens, the problem "corrected" itself after an hour or so.

I had come to the conclusion that removing the cards and formatting them on the PC had sorted it, but I suspect the delay allowed the capacitors to discharge as Merco_61 said.

Both times it has happened when I was saving in Raw and JPp and shooting a lot of pictures.

A really good tip of using the light to discharge, and I will report back as I am sure it will happen again.

Thanks

Peterm353

Peterm353

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

A further update.

On my camera this is definitely tied in with the memory card and how often it is formatted.

I was playing tonight with getting ready for a firmware update and switching cards in and out soon got the green light as the camera tried to sort out the card. Neither had any photos on, but they had not been formatted in the camera recently

Removal of the battery stopped the light and once formatted the camera settled down.

I am using Sandisk Extreme 60Mb/s size 16Gb if that is helpful.

We will see if the firmware upgrade reduces/solves the issue.

Peterm353

Peterm353

• Forum Member
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Country Flag

Next update.

Firmware update did not help.

I have now changed the two memory cards to Sandisk Ultra 40Mb/s and have had no problems on holiday.

Will report back if they cause any problems.