Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Company names

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationAll over the USA

So far I've just used my name with Photography in front of it on my facebook page as a potential company name. And while I'm ok with that idea, a name hit me a couple of days ago, and I really like it. I've seen a post or two on the pros of using your name as your brand, and understand the theory behind it. And I guess the issue I have is purely personal in the fact that I just don't like the sound of either.. James Childress Photography, or Jamie Childress Photography (Legally my name is James, but friends and family have called me Jamie all my life). To me it just doesn't have a good ring to it.

As I said, a couple of days ago, a name came to me out of the blue. The more I thought about it, the more I liked it. Wild4Life Photography. Beyond the play on wildlife photography, which is what I shoot most currently, it also works for many other types. I did some searching, and the only conflicts are a non profit organization in Africa, Wild4life.org, and a photographer in Canada with a company called Wild4life Productions. I can't see any paths crossing here. Neither are trademarked.

I know some of y'all don't use your name in your company, and others don't mention it one way or the other. What are your thoughts? Do you think that it's imperative to have your name on your business as a photographer? Is a catchy name that's easier to remember more helpful?

dcbear78

dcbear78

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 701 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationGladstone, Queensland
I felt the same way. I didn't like the sound of my name. But on top of that both of my names have various spelling options, and my last name is an odd way to spell that name (I have to spell both of my name's all the tine). So if anyone was to search for me after only hearing the name they would never get it correct when they type it in.

I work in major industry in my day (and night) job. We're have four crews working shift work. I work on crew one hence Crew One Photography was born.

But I much prefer trading off your name. I think this is an industry that actually benefits from it as you are actually selling yourself.

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

i like James Childress Photography as apposed to Jamie...

Wild4Life also sounds cool.

But I think name recognition is important to a photographer.  However, a friend of mine, John Pearce, UK, is a world renowned cycling photographer, and he uses a company name, Photosport International (which also seems to cover it all)

You could always use you name and Wild4Life until you get recognized and then just go with Wild4Life.

So, in summation, and apparently no help at all, I think either wording will work for you in the long run.

I may possibly go to the Photoshop Vegas if I can scrap some funds together.  Catch some Lightroom and Photoshop lectures.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

Godaddy will also tell you what domain names are available, if that helps at all with choosing a name should you want a personalized website to accompany your business.

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
Deano, using both was something I'm considering. Wild4Life Photography by James Childress. I was playing around in Photoshop last night with it like that and rather liked it. I did check domain availability. Wild4Life.com isn't available, but it's also dead.

etphoto

etphoto

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationCincinnati
I lucked out with my name, thanks to Hollywood. I used my initials for my business name. ET Photography.

And if one more person asks me if I am going to phone home . . . lol

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I go back and forth on it...back many years ago I used my name, then I used a play on my name for something a bit catchy.  Then, I just went back to my name for several years.  When I started doing sports, I did not want to use my name so I thought and searched out a domain that I was happy with and went from there.  It doesn't have to be a .COM - I think .PHOTO and .PHOTOGRAPHY are now out there as options and of course there is .NET as well.  

Having moved and having to effectively setup a new business in our new location, I debated just transitioning my current name.  Since I wanted to do more than just sports, I decided on a play of my sports name where I can expand it.  I've grabbed the domain already and will be setting up the business here soon.  Once I get the site up and running I'll share it...

My thought is that the generic name works better for me.  There are benefits both ways certainly and I certainly don't hide my name when dealing with customers or potential clients, but I like that the site on the net is more generic.  It also gives me the flexibility of hiring other photographers to shoot for the company and providing their images as the company's.  Not that I expect to do that, but I know one of my kids enjoys photography and that would be an avenue for them to get some images out there if they wanted to.

Thumper

Thumper

Nikonian

• Forum Member
  • 2,289 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationTexas

Site Supporter

wild4life.photo is available.

wild4life.photography is available.

wild4life.photos is available.

https://www.godaddy....wild4life.photo

FYI

OTRTexan

OTRTexan

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Country Flag
There are certainly pros and cons both ways. That's the beauty, imo, of Wild4Life, it can encompass many styles. I do think I'm going to add a by line however.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

Go For It!!!

Afterimage

Afterimage

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationPennsylvania

I'm sorry if this has been covered, I only skimmed through the posts-

I always thought using your own name for a photography business was a strategy in branding and name recognition.

"Who did your wedding photos? We need a photographer too."

"Oh, that was Joe Smith, he was great! Check him out at JoeSmithPhotography.com!"

vs

"Who did your wedding photos? We need a photographer too."

"Ummm, It was John something... no, Joe. He has a website... it was Notyouragveragejoe.com ... I think."