Welcome to NikonForums.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Lowepro Runner 450 vs. china brand

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Dear members, hope you can help me out here.

My wife would like to treat me a new cam bag, and I don't want to go all nuts asking for the most expensive/awesome bag such as Lowepro Pro trekker 650 or Tamrac Expedition 8X.

I am hoping to find something at sub 100 USD on the Chinese Taobao, here is some of the things I've come up with:

AINO GIRL A2123

Dimensions (inner); 32*17*46

taobao | 淘寶

Lowepro Pro Runner 450 AW

Dimensions (inner); 31*17*47

http://store.lowepro...o-runner-450-aw

I must admit, the AINO GIRL looks more well built, more of a road warrior, but Lowepro is known for quality (right?), and by the looks it has more neat rooms for organizing things such as SD cards, batteries, phone etc.

Please advice me, also, do feel free to add in more suggestions, but please keep the inner dimensions for lens/bodies as the others, I am hoping to be able to carry:
150-600 Tamron

70-200 F2.8

FX body

DX body

Along 24-70, 15-30 and 2 primes & perhaps a flash.

EDIT:
Tripod mount is a must, and if possible monopod as addition would be a sweet touch..

Yes; I ask of much, at low cost - hope it is possible ;) PS: Taobao is about 1/3 to 1/2 price of normal retail stores in generel.

I like the china model has opening on the side that is facing your back, also it seems more 'airy' for your back, preventing you getting all warm while carrying.... How is the Lowepro as for comfort?

The Lowepro is 2.7 kg while the China one is only 1.9 kg - that is quite a difference...

deano

deano

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationColorado USA

Site Supporter

I have a Lowpro Pro Runner 200AW, which is a backpack style of bag, .  It is great for one camera and three lenses (large or small).  Quite indestructible.  It has 2 side mesh pockets and one big zippered pocket on the front.  It is great for day tripping.  However, I also have a Tamrac Pro 12 which holds all my gear, but I use it to store all my gear in.

It sods like you need a much bigger bag than my Lowpro.  Look at the Tamrac Pro 12 which will hold both bodies as well as the big lenses.

Nikonite

Nikonite

Forum Veteran

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

I have the Lowepro Flipside 200 and can attest to the quality of the bag's build. I thought the "flipside" was a gimmick at first, but now that I've used it I can't imagine being without it. The bag not only carries my DSLR setup, but my dedicated video camera too.

TBonz

TBonz

Sportz Guy

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,652 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationOn A Field Somewhere...

Site Supporter

I guess everything boils down to personal preference and intended use which, of course, is also a personal thing.  I have one of the smaller LowePro Pro Runner AW backpacks that is probably about 7 or 8 years old.  I was quite happy with it when purchased and used it for 3-4 years without any problems.  I ended up replacing it with one of their mid-sized rolling bags.  I've been quite happy with it as well.  Mostly I needed more space as I expanded my equipment, but the rolling case was also a better choice than the backpack for me in terms of carrying the gear to my normal photo locations.  Shooting sports I normally have to haul from the parking lot to the field - not always a short distance, but certainly not like a hike in the woods.  Once at the field, it basically sits while I shoot and then gets loaded back up for the return trip.  The rolling bag seemed more sturdy to me and because of the design, I wasn't putting the backpack straps down onto wet grass, dirt or mud which eventually made my decision for me.  Now, I'm throwing the 200-400 over my shoulder with my monopod attached to the case and pulling the roller so it works out ok.  I expect I will be replacing it over time and I will be considering both options again based on what types of shooting I end up doing more frequently here in North Carolina.  I may end up going back to a backpack for wandering the trails and a bigger roller for sports.  Whichever way I end up going, it is going to be awhile before I purchase because I want to round out my gear and know what I'll want to carry in most situations before I make a decision.  I've kind of come to the conclusion that no bag is perfect for all situations and all gear.  So, I plan to get a bag that will work best for "normal" use and use my other bags for situations where they will work better.  

I will say that the LowePro backpack was quite comfortable to carry for me.  Mine has an external tripod / monopod holder which seemed to work fine with my monopod which I carried frequently.  I do think I had the tripod hooked on it once and it seemed to work well.  Having had it out in weather many times, the AW cover is nice and it works quite well.  My rolling bag doesn't have it and I've wished it did on several occasions.  If a backpack works best for your shooting style, I don't think you can go wrong with the LowePro.  If you don't need the backpack, I'd take a look at the rolling bags as well.  They are definitely more sturdy than a soft-sided backpack and are easy to roll behind you.  The downside being that it won't work as well in rough terrain and you will need a hand to pull it where as the backpack doesn't care about terrain and you have hands free.

Hope that all helps!  

M.Beier

M.Beier

Loyal Member

• Forum Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Country Flag
  • LocationCopenhagen

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I read what you all wrote, and considered it, then I ended up with the odd choice :)

Went for the China brand, because of the flipside - I think I'll appreciate that feature a lot, and it is simply something Lowepro in the given size does not offer. For my needs, the backpack option will work best, as its all around - though it will be a quite empty bagpack for a while, its nice not to feel low on capacity for a while.

Once again, thanks.